Heads-Up 2003 Cobra class?

Dr. Jamie Meyer

Why would you lift?
Established Member
Okay, folks, it's time to start seriously discussing the rules of any possible future 2003 SVT Cobra Shootout. I'd like to see a limited series at NMRA (3-4 races at the most) to watch it grow without wearing everyone out from the traveling. This is the time to nail down some accepted rules. I've got some ideas, but I'd really like to hear from you, the owners of these cars. Here's what I'm thinking:

1. It should be heads-up.
2. Very limited mods. If we let too much go, everyone one will be driving with a cage, bell housing, etc.
3. Limits: stock IRS, stock blower, stock 6-speed, stock MAS (no FAST), 3500 pounds (no gutting), DOT tires (?)
4. We may have to have two classes, since I, personally, want to see how fast this engine will push a Cobra. Paul Svinicki's car has only hinted at it. With a full season to test, that car will be well in the 9-second zone. [Reminder: He put that car together in less than one month.]
5. Maybe we should choose to run at the IHRA-sanctioned NMRA tracks to help some with the safety equipment concerns?

Special note for those of you not interested in drag racing your 2003 Cobra: as mentioned earlier by other members of this board, a class for this car will push the technology and creativity of aftermarket parts to new limits!

We have sponsors lining up to pay for this class. Obviously, Rick at Amazon Racing and Diablo Sport are early leaders. But, SVT has privately pledged to support 2003 Cobra racing in the future.

As the 2003 NMRA rule book is prepared, I will need your feedback on this topic if you really want to continue racing these cars. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jamie

Reggie

Established Member
I agree Jamie! Kind of like a factory stock class, just for the '03's! Basically all true bolt on's.

'03 Factory Stock

-3500 lbs.
-T-56 mandatory
-Factory SC. No nitrous, or different sc's.
-Of course drag radials should be allowed.
-Every modification should be commercially available.
-No interior gutting. That has to be my number one pet peeve, bad ass stangs with hacked up interior! Although, aftermarket seats should be allowed, and a rear seat delete, as long as carpeted. Stereo's mandatory!
-Windshield washer equipment mandatory!
-Lights mandatory.
-AC intact, not sure about this one. I would like to see the AC's be mandatory.

And maybe there should be a 03 Pro class, just to push the envelope.

- 3300 lbs, stock type short block, nos, or maybe even a switch to a different blower or even turbo.

Just my initial thoughts!

dmreitz

Established Member
Lansing, IL (Chi. Suburb on Indiana border)
2 classes is definitely the way to go...

It will be good to see what people can do with DOT approved tires and bolt ons in a "stock" class...

but it will also be good to let people really experiment... new blower, NOS, swap out the IRS, etc...

As far as the "stock" class goes - what about gears? Would these be allowed? Will there be a limit on how far you can go with the size? If someone wants to put a lower gear than a 4.10, will it be allowed? ...or maybe this has to remain stock at 3.55? Anyway, just something to consider...

Reggie

Established Member
Well, those are the types of questions that we all need to answer, as it will be our class.

I would imagine that gear swapping will be legal, as will what ever size gears you want to put in.

Originally posted by dmreitz
2 classes is definitely the way to go...

It will be good to see what people can do with DOT approved tires and bolt ons in a "stock" class...

but it will also be good to let people really experiment... new blower, NOS, swap out the IRS, etc...

As far as the "stock" class goes - what about gears? Would these be allowed? Will there be a limit on how far you can go with the size? If someone wants to put a lower gear than a 4.10, will it be allowed? ...or maybe this has to remain stock at 3.55? Anyway, just something to consider...

ALLNTRL

Established Member
I would like to see it run Heads Up also, but I do think it needs to be divided into two classes. One for basically the stock cars with limited bolt-on's running on DOT rubber and the other for cars like Paul Svinicki's 03' to push the limits and help the aftermarket to grow for these truly special cars. My $.02

BlackCobra99Va

Established Member
Jamie---

I think your idea is GREAT and will really show what these 03 Cobras can do and spotlight the development for parts for them...However, not to take from your thread, I must say that we really need to push NMRA and the rules to Better Favor Mod Motors as a whole to run with the Heads Up classes...Pushing the 03 cobras for a heads up only class is good, but what about all the other mod motors out there just itching to run a heads up NMRA class...Especially the BULK of 4.6 DOHC cars that would more than willing to line up in EFI Renegade, except for the fact that STand alones (FAST, DFI, Electromotive, MOTECH) are not allowed...

Just trying to point out that the 03 shootout is a GREAT step for heads up modular racing, but we can't forget the other mod motor cars that are going much faster than the 03's and have done alot of the R&D for the existing parts we have now....

Thanks and Great job in Bowling Green!!!!! Can't wait till next season :D

Jeff

Rick@Amazon

SVT God
Established Member
I would like to see 2 or 3 classes. Street tire, DR/slick and pro mod 03 class. I think some basic rules should apply:

For slick and street tire class (street car)
-Must use IRs
-3500 lb weight min
-stock eec only (no fast,motech,electromotive, epec etc.)
-t-56 only
-must be street legal (tagged and insured)
- no add on power adder ( nitrious, aftermarket blower)
-stock maf

for pro mod 03 (race car)
-Multiple power adders
-aftermarket blower (must be a roots/twin screw or autorotor design)
-aftermarket engine control
-solid rear
-3100 weight min

The more input from the racers the better. I will be glad to be a part of this if NMRA can fit it in.

Rick

Mac03Cobra

Texas Lightning Rod
Established Member
2 or 3 classes.

Put the final decision in the hands of driving ability with HEADS UP running!

Mac03Cobra....

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread