Heads

Vito

Broken
Established Member
Does anyone know who makes or where I could look for 2000 Cobra R heads?

SC Cobra

Established Member
i think those were made by ford, they custom made it for the Cobra R's, you wanna put them on your Lightning, huh?

that'll be sweet :D

Vito

Broken
Established Member
Originally posted by SC Cobra
i think those were made by ford, they custom made it for the Cobra R's, you wanna put them on your Lightning, huh?

that'll be sweet :D
THanks
:) yeah I think it beats the Navigator heads everyone is doin :D

kwiksnake

Established Member
ummm, just to let you know you can't put them on a lightning block. They don't fit. You would have to get a navigator block for them to fit. And I believe the heads for a Cobra R were regular Cobra heads with bigger valves and some port work.

Vito

Broken
Established Member
Originally posted by kwiksnake
ummm, just to let you know you can't put them on a lightning block. They don't fit. You would have to get a navigator block for them to fit. And I believe the heads for a Cobra R were regular Cobra heads with bigger valves and some port work.
ok but I thought people were putting navigator heads on L blocks?

Last edited:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
You can do that, you just have to change the fron timing cover and a few other things. It's almost the same as putting Cobra heads on a GT. It would be easier to fing a Navigator that is trashed and yank the motor. Then just swap it into your L with the appropriate intakes etc. ;-)

The R did get a more aggresive cam profile I thought.

kwiksnake

Established Member
I could be mistaken but I thought the R heads were DOHC and the lightning was a SOHC. I also thought the bolts for the heads wouldn't line up since the DOHC head is so much wider than the SOHC. They require two different types of blocks.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
The DOHC heads wouldn't fit on the GT's if that were the case. The heads are no wider down low. All the girth of the DOHC heads is up top, to hold the extra cams. The R heads are the 4.6 DOHC FR500 style heads that Ford took the time to work. Bigger valves and a couple of other things. They also got a serial number to match the engine. The only real difference between a SOHC and DOHC for head mounting purposes is the front timing cover. You have to switch to the appropriate timing cover when switching heads.

PS Please not the new 2003 Cobra uses the GT cast iron block now. It also uses the 32V heads.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread