Heads

flashlight

Established Member
I am replacing the heads on my lightning. Its a 01. The heads I got are 04's
off a mustang. The valve cover bolt patern is different. Is there anything else
that is different. Or anything I will have a problem with. Thanks for any help.

FordFanStan

Established Member
Are you for sure they came from a Mustang or maybe a Crown Vic, Marauder, etc.? I don't recall any 2v PI heads on Mustangs in 04. Are you sure they are 04? Not trying to sound rude but are you sure they are 2v heads? If so sounds like you got PI heads. The oil fill is on the drivers side instead now, but you can get special valve/cam covers to put it back on the pass. side if you really wanted to, but it's not necessary. It's hard to remember, I can't recall if there is anything different with the timing cover or not. People have sued them several times before on the L without any issues... Stan

Last edited:

flashlight

Established Member
Are you for sure they came from a Mustang or maybe a Crown Vic, Marauder, etc.? I don't recall any 2v PI heads on Mustangs in 04. Are you sure they are 04? Not trying to sound rude but are you sure they are 2v heads? If so sounds like you got PI heads. The oil fill is on the drivers side instead now, but you can get special valve/cam covers to put it back on the pass. side if you really wanted to, but it's not necessary. It's hard to remember, I can't recall if there is anything different with the timing cover or not. People have sued them several times before on the L without any issues... Stan

Yes def sure they are 2v. I know the guy I got them from has a 04 mustang. That is what he said they came off of. I know for sure they are 8 thread spark plug holes.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member

99-04 Mustang GT's had the 2 valve PI heads :beer:

But like has been mentioned, there are the Romeo heads & the Windsor heads; only difference between the 2 being the bolt pattern for the valve covers.

FordFanStan

Established Member
I figured it would take a Mustang guy to let us know for sure :thumbsup: . I should have known that anyhow :bash: but I usually only see GT500's and Termi's ... Stan

Last edited:

ducman996

Established Member
I know others have done this, obviously requires Romeo valve covers, I think the main difficulty is you have to get creative with the brackets and the rest of the mess that mounts to the stock valve covers.

flashlight

Established Member
Thanks thats what I wanted to know. Just wanted to make sure I would not have any problems with the timing chain cover or anything else big. Did the 04 Lightning not come with these same heads?

ducman996

Established Member
Thanks thats what I wanted to know. Just wanted to make sure I would not have any problems with the timing chain cover or anything else big. Did the 04 Lightning not come with these same heads?

I dont know about timming cover issues, you might have to do some more research about that, but I dont recall it being an issue.

No, L's came with the revised 8 thread winsor heads that use the same valve covers as 99-02.

flashlight

Established Member
Thanks for the info, But thats not what I ment. should have been more clear. I want to know if the 04 mustang heads that I have are different than 04 L heads.

Users who are viewing this thread