Heat Cramps

Equalbracket

Established Member
Anyone else experience heat cramps? I do pretty much everything possible to prevent and prepare for the temps, but 4+ hours in 120-130 temps with absolutely zero air movement performing pretty strenuous work. I only get them once every two week or so, depends on the job.

I take salt pills, electrolyte replacements, drink pickle juice/Gatorade and lots of water, but I can't run to the truck every 20 mins for a drink and there's absolutely no pacing myself with only two of us doing doing everything, and it all has to get done. I go 150mph until I just simply run out of gas, and when its 120+ the simple tasks take 10x longer etc.

Heat index was 106 yesterday and humidity was nuts, had no prior symptoms but when I got home I barely made it in the door and legs/calves/hamstrings knot up and it's the worst pain I've ever experienced. I basically lay on the ground in excruciating pain until it stops. I don't drink beer, I eat very healthy, veggies are favorite.

I'm out of ideas, yes it's cooling off and will be a non issue in a month, but then there's next summer. I love my job and every aspect of it, but it's already causing health problems at such a young age. I've had carpal tunnel since I was 26 from using a crimp tool, every night is a battle to get a decent amount of sleep, wake up every hour hands on fire walk around, go back to sleep, repeat. Once work slows down a little i'll have surgery on both hands.

This is a 4th generation family owned plumbing contractor company, with never more then 4 employees. Well we have 4 now, two old MP's, my boss's dad/uncle, they just get a check every week. So it's just two of us with almost 40 custom houses going and 7 more sitting waiting to be roughed in.

We try to hire a helper or two but nobody is willing to work hard and pay their dues anymore, 18-22 year olds wanting 15-18/hr with absolutely no experience, or an attitude which lasts all of 10 mins before they'll told to find a ride, or call an uber.

Everyday I see roofers up top laying shingles for 12+ hours, wearing hoodies and full face masks in 100 degree temps, but i'm pretty sure that would kill me.

Ideas?

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I second the water storage. You'll have to overcome it because a dead employee is no good to the business either. If they care about their future, they will accommodate you.

A huge thing that works for me is work out clothes. I use under armour type material shirts and shorts and it helped tremendously. Also, wear loose/airy boxers. Gotta keep the jewels cool. Lastly, shoes are a big deal because your feet biologically speaking are like heat sinks.

Overall, I would just go for the lightest, most airy clothes you can find. An old T-shirt and cargo shorts don't breathe worth a crap. They sell more formal, not gym looking wear that can be used on a daily basis.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Bring frozen jugs of water to keep with you.

Second the camelback but may be a pain depending on type of work you do, and also on the heat gear UA stuff. I wear it all the time and it's a life saver compared to cotton.

_Snake_

Established Member
If you don't have to piss you are not drinking enough water.

This x 1000.

Taking it one step farther, if you're not peeing clear, you're not drinking enough water. Find a way to bring more with you and drink it throughout the day. If you don't, there's a good chance you'll eventually end up with heat exhaustion (if you haven't already). That means no work and no $$. Worst case scenario is a heat stroke, and you die. This isn't something to take lightly. The more often you suffer from cramps / exhaustion, the more susceptible you are to future occurrences.

Skip the pickle juice, salt pills, and other stuff. Drink straight water or 50/50 water and Gatorade. And do it all day.

Be safe. Pee clear. Seriously.

Even the military takes water breaks while training in hot climates.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Very good suggestions in here! I second the garment suggestion especially, it makes all the difference in this heat, lots of UA and Nike gear, golf shirts etc.

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
I think Tom Brady would say lay off the pickle juice. Playing mad science with sodium pills and pickle juice just because you are sweating doesn't sound correct.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Now that I think about it..

You're probably causing yourself cramping issues with the abundance of salt and lack of water in your system.

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
just stick to banging supermodels and take pink Himalayan salt...it works for Tom!

He was on sports radio talking diet for 20 minutes. Really boring shit. He said to take your weight and reduce that number in half. And that number is amount of oz's of water you need to drink a day.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Drink Water!!!

Seriously, you cannot hydrate the day before. It is a process that begins days in advance. You also have to eat the right foods. Nanners are good because of the potassium. I have pulled foot patrols in 150 heat wearing full gear, full combat load, and an aid bag that weighed a good 60lbs fully loaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coosawjack

Established Member
Tonic Water but make sure it has Quinine in it......that will help cramps once ya get 'em but best not to get cramps and stay hydrated!!;)

Equalbracket

Established Member
I cant wear shorts that's not an option, I wear thin wrangler shirts and wear comfortable wolverines. I drink 3-4 28oz g2's during the day and 10+ bottles of water at the least. I start off with a g2 when I wake up and a banana. I eat alot of veggies and fresh chicken. But in a day I can lose 3 gallons of sweat which is impossible to replace.

When its 90+ and then into the 100's its 120-130 above the ceiling joists and absolutely no air movement, its such an intense heat it overcomes you. I've always worked in the heat and it's never been an issue, but last year I had a minor heat stroke and its really been a lot harder to deal with the heat since.

I don't just drink pickle juice from a jar, they're 8oz bottles from academy specifically for muscle cramps and contain more electrolytes than sports drinks and contains no sugar.

http://www.picklepower.com/

I know the smart thing is pace yourself but that's just now how i'm wired or raised. I'm in good shape but I feel my body is breaking down before i'm even 30 and i'm 100% to blame. I cant not overdue it, I honestly don't expect to live to be 60. But I have no regrets. I get asked quite often, "why do you work so hard" and all I can think of is, why not.

Users who are viewing this thread