Heat Exchanger

TruBlue

Established Member
I know everyone has their own personal favorites, but which heat exchanger is the better fit without any modifications or relocating of hoses and provides better cooling over the stock exchanger? The AFCO or Fluidyne? Single or Dual Pass?

Thanks for the help.

JONYLTNG03

Just A Tow Vehicle
Established Member
Im running the AFCO double by pass. Fit perfectly. Didn't have to relocate anything. Install time was maybe 30 min. But I also installed the JLP street coolant resivoir also.

TruBlue

Established Member
Thanks I have the JLP Street coolant reservoir on its way already. Just wanting to see want most people are running for after market heat exchangers.

JONYLTNG03

Just A Tow Vehicle
Established Member
Did you recently buy this Lightning? Or a new Lightning owner? If so and need some tips on what to expect in the future as far as minor things that you will need to replace at certain mileages, let me know. I don't know how you plan on setting your truck up wheather it's a drag or just a good street truck, but if you look at all my mods in my signature, this is a really safe a reliable set-up. With a good tuner. Now that I got the heat exchanger upgrade, I might go to the 6 lbs pulley. I have been running this set-up since 2008. I run 12.70's on street tires also. Although my numbers are where they are at, I haven't re dynoed it since the mid pipes or heat exchanger, so I might have a little more power. Anyways, just letting you know. Later bud.

TruBlue

Established Member
Did you recently buy this Lightning? Or a new Lightning owner? If so and need some tips on what to expect in the future as far as minor things that you will need to replace at certain mileages, let me know. I don't know how you plan on setting your truck up wheather it's a drag or just a good street truck, but if you look at all my mods in my signature, this is a really safe a reliable set-up. With a good tuner. Now that I got the heat exchanger upgrade, I might go to the 6 lbs pulley. I have been running this set-up since 2008. I run 12.70's on street tires also. Although my numbers are where they are at, I haven't re dynoed it since the mid pipes or heat exchanger, so I might have a little more power. Anyways, just letting you know. Later bud.

JONYLTNG03, I just bought this truck and it was stock with 38k miles on it. I have already put a bassani mid pipe with cats and cat back exhaust on it. I plan on putting a killer chiller, and replacing the heat exchanger. I have also ordered a F-250 Super Duty trans cooler. It is mostly going to be a dailly driver/street truck.

Thanks

JONYLTNG03

Just A Tow Vehicle
Established Member
Don't wanna thread jack but whats the benifts of a dual VS single..???

Well, if you plan on running a 6 lb lower for a street truck, it's a must due to heat issues. Sends more coolant through blower. The 6 lb lower with stock upper is probably the max you are able to run on stock internals. And definitley a must for built motor with bigger blower.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
I had a single fluidyne and now a dual afco. Both are easy to install and either will get the job done.

leo2hot4tv

Established Member
Don't wanna thread jack but whats the benifts of a dual VS single..???

dual pass passes the fluid twice, the other once. Not sure if it makes sense but picture as single pass as fluid entering through one side and exit the other(one pass). For dual, just pass the same fluid back through the opposite way.

JONYLTNG03

Just A Tow Vehicle
Established Member
dual pass passes the fluid twice, the other once. Not sure if it makes sense but picture as single pass as fluid entering through one side and exit the other(one pass). For dual, just pass the same fluid back through the opposite way.

I was curious to know your numbers with the 6 lb lower. Thanks.

JONYLTNG03

Just A Tow Vehicle
Established Member
I'll let you know what my 03 made...with a k&n cai, 6lb lower and bassani mid pipe, TR6's at .32, everything else stock.. Dyno tuned at 391/494.

What kind of dyno? Cause if you look at my signature, with all my mods, minus the midpipe's and new heat exchanger cause I added them later, I made 405/510 on a dyno jet. Weird.... And I only have a 4 lb lower. Cool, j/w. Thanks.

"# 804" 03' "DSG" Lightning, accufab single blade throttle body, manual valve body, magnaflow mid-pipes with borla muffler, 4 lb lower, dual 90mm idlers, volant cold air intake, electric fan, JLP Ultra Cooler Reservoir Tank(Street), SCT tuner, tuned by PSI Motorsports, ground force 1.5" drop in front, JLP 3" drop shackle's in rear, and Metco traction bars.

Last edited:

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
It was a dyno jet too. My timing was 13* and afr was around a 11.4-11.5. If he would have gone to 14* and maybe a tad leaner, might have been 400/500. But I'm cool on the safer side. Plus each dyno will be different, weather and other factors will make it different. My L makes 494rwhp on 11* timing and a 11.2 afr as it sits. I'm from roane county/Kingston area. In NC at the moment.

Last edited:

JONYLTNG03

Just A Tow Vehicle
Established Member
It was a dyno jet too. My timing was 13* and afr was around a 11.4-11.5. If he would have gone to 14* and maybe a tad leaner, might have been 400/500. But I'm cool on the safer side. Plus each dyno will be different, weather and other factors will make it different. My L makes 494rwhp on 11* timing and a 11.2 afr as it sits. I'm from roane county/Kingston area. In NC at the moment.

Huh. I will take a look at my dyno sheet and see where my af's were. Thanks for the info. I was curious cause I think I want to go to a 6 lb. These new 5.0's are damn quick. Gotta make sure I can still hang. LOL! :beer:

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
I would def go 6 lower and look at porting your eaton. With the first mods and my first port work, no change to my tune, I went from 391/494 to 413/525. Af ratio was a 11.8. With those 5.0's, go from a dig up to 60mph and your torque will net you the win. :rockon: After that, weight and aerodynamics are against you.

Last edited:

leo2hot4tv

Established Member
I was curious to know your numbers with the 6 lb lower. Thanks.

I don't really know as I haven't dyno'd the truck. I'm likely a hair lower than the 400/500 since my tune has me at about 10.8 AFR at close to WOT; however I don't plan on going higher since she's the DD for now. 400is/500ish is what most members seem to get though with the mods.

Users who are viewing this thread