Heat extractor hood?

Mobil1Mach

Established Member
Does anyone have recommendations for a heat extractor that can be mounted just to the rear of the radiator on the hood?

Also, would doing this cause the hot air to be consumed by the shaker intake?

smitty2919

Established Member
Unless you got a cobra hood and cut a hole in it for the shaker, I think your only option is to make a custome hood.

And it's possible for the shaker to take in the warmer air, but the shaker does not provide note worthy gains for performance anyways.

I don't know how a heat extractor hood and a shaker would look. Kinda curious.

JBender2007

Established Member
Unless you got a cobra hood and cut a hole in it for the shaker, I think your only option is to make a custome hood.

And it's possible for the shaker to take in the warmer air, but the shaker does not provide note worthy gains for performance anyways.

I don't know how a heat extractor hood and a shaker would look. Kinda curious.

im kind of curious as to how that would look as well

4v_mach1

Established Member
wouldn't the shaker help top end drawing in cold air straight onto the air filter on the highway? I'm talking about 100+ mph

04Mach1Blurr

1st GT500 M122 Eaton Mach
Established Member
wouldn't the shaker help top end drawing in cold air straight onto the air filter on the highway? I'm talking about 100+ mph

Sure, this discussion of whether it actually has any type of suction at 0mph has been talked about. With the stock tubing into the filter and stock intake system, sure it does draw air in, not a whole lot but still does. Driving on the highway or track forcing air over the bumper and hood and into the hood scoop does happen as well, Hell I have a 1inch spacer and with my cooling mods it absolutely helps. But how much it helps, im sure its not much but it does help with cool air induction.

With the heat extractor hoods its the air flowing out of the hood vents as well as the the air passing over the vents creating a rotating suction of the hot air out. How to make adapter plates to be used on the Mach's, no that's another question. For those without heat exchangers or front mounts im sure it would be easier to make a tubing route from lower in the bumper up to the radiator or engine bay itself. Problem comes to things;water getting caught and getting into places they shouldn't be.

nekasrof

Established Member
Not exactly a heat extractor hood of 'normal' proportions but heat flows out of it. These are boat vents from West Marine actually. I was looking for additional heat extraction without changing the Mach hood and this is what we came up with. The vents actually stick up above the hood and we believe they create a vaccum and draw air out. What I will say is that in the rain, they will have water inside the engine bay. Since I don't really drive in the rain, not a concern.

I cannot say how much they pull heat out while racing. But the combination of a 160 thermostat, high speed fan set at 175 and the vents, we ran around Mustang Week this year(with that crazy heat) with coolant temps of 174 -178. However, as soon as I romp on it, all bets are off with the Procharger.

DSC00296.jpg

SonicBlueOval

Established Member
These are sold by tiger racing. Not sure if they will fit the mach hood, but you can measure.

Universal Louvers:

A four louvre panel that can be used for fenders, hoods or wherever you like. The louvre sizes are 6.5" x 2" and overall size can be trimmed down to a 12" x 7" size for fitment and are tapped for left and right directionals.

louvres.jpg

Universal Louvres
- Fiberglass - $60 each

Users who are viewing this thread