Heat is our Worst Enemy

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Or should I say "enema". Drove the cobra around yesterday on a really hot day for the first time, and it felt like a different car. Seems like anything below 50 degrees and the car feels like it gains 100hp, and anything over 80 degrees and the car feels like it looses 100hp. HUGE difference in power. Glad I finally did that hood mod.

Speaking of...I have some extra flex trim for anyone who needs some in the Denver area. Let me know.

SVT4J

This isn't the autobahn?
Established Member
I know all to well about the heat. That "100" less HP is how the Texas and Florida Cobra's feel all the time ;-) Of course your altitude doesn't help either.

tv's 03

Established Member
At the drag strip, my first time out the air was very moderate maybe a 75 degree high, in the 60's in the morn, and a tail wind my car was trapping 112 mph. Sunday it was much more humid and a high of 80 degrees with it being in the 70's in the morn, plus the time trials were going fast so I did not get a good cool down and the car was trapping at 110 at the same track.

So, I would say temps do add or take away a good 20-30 hp maybe a bit more.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
I sure wouldn't mind knowing what the Cobra feels like in 50 degree weather. It's never seen less tha low to mid 60's......

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Haha...you should feel it in the 40's. YEEEEEOOOOOWWW!!!!!

03blacksnake

Time Traveler
Established Member
Originally posted by 03snake
I sure wouldn't mind knowing what the Cobra feels like in 50 degree weather. It's never seen less tha low to mid 60's......

That's a small price to pay for living in paradise. :)

Bill Reid

Established Member
Originally posted by AtomHeart
Wonder how the Phoenix Arizona guys deal with this crap!

We already developed what we feel is an excellant solution Ford's attempt to a Heat Exchanger. We are putting the finishing touch's on a new radiator now :) Today it should be 100F... no escaping that:fm:

:beer:

Tim03cobra

Established Member
The performance difference between 40 deg. and 75 deg. is like a running 40 shot of nitrous on the cold days.:eek:

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Do you guys show less boost on your boost gauge when running on a hot day than on a cold day? I was definitely showing less boost yesterday. Around 6psi.

00 Aggie

Its just a slow vert...
Established Member
We have been at 87 for the last few days in Houston and I can peg my boost gauge easily.

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Dern...that means its altitude. Sure seems like I was pegging it when it was cold up here, though.

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
Ya, less boost. Car feels like its almost lagging a bit in this weather. Bill, sounds good! Post some pics when your done.

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
Yep, noticed the lag. Almost felt like I constantly was needing to downshift. Frustrating. Hehe.

lethal

Established Member
Originally posted by SVT4J
I know all to well about the heat. That "100" less HP is how the Texas and Florida Cobra's feel all the time ;-) Of course your altitude doesn't help either.

Actually, my car feels strong all the time. Sure, there is a difference, the car will definitley scream when its in December, and the air is a "nippy" 40 or 50. That's happens rarely.

But, you need to keep it in perspective.... all the cars around you slow down, so we're still the king of the castle.

I'll take my car down here any day... that's just because I can drive it every day! No snow =)

John

04-MystiChrome

One Fast Grand-PaPi
Established Member
Do you guys show less boost on your boost gauge when running on a hot day than on a cold day? I was definitely showing less boost yesterday. Around 6psi.

I would say it is time to get a Pulley with only 6 lbs.
I know as I'm at 5000 feet with 90 degree temps all
the time in the summer. A pulley at your altitude will
be what the doctor ordered. I originally went with the
2.93 thinking with my gears it would be enough-Not!
At these higher altitudes & temps you need boost & gear.

SVT4J

This isn't the autobahn?
Established Member
Originally posted by lethal
Actually, my car feels strong all the time. Sure, there is a difference, the car will definitley scream when its in December, and the air is a "nippy" 40 or 50. That's happens rarely.

But, you need to keep it in perspective.... all the cars around you slow down, so we're still the king of the castle.

I'll take my car down here any day... that's just because I can drive it every day! No snow =)

John

I understand what your saying, but we don't experience the dramatic differences because of where we live. The guys at altitude, and they guys in cooler weather have dramatic changes by season. My car gained about 2 psi when it was nippy outside. I see alot of high MPH runs from the cold weather guys, but I'll keep our perspective - no snow :-D

n0xlf

Established Member
I've had mine out in near zero degree weather (with no snow too!),and it was awesome, except for the wheel hop that was drastically increased from cold tires and road...

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member

yeah its sucks bad. Maybe I should invest in xtremes heat exchanger. how much of a differance does it really make here in the valley Bill? Its only going to be getting hotter over the next few months.

I always thought it would be a cool idea to route an air conditioning vent to the intake somehow in front of the MAF... or directly on the filter. wonder if that would make a difference. Kinda like the concept lightning.

Bill, you guys can do that right? :)

-Ben

1992B4C

Established Member

We already developed what we feel is an excellant solution Ford's attempt to a Heat Exchanger. We are putting the finishing touch's on a new radiator now Today it should be 100F... no escaping that

Another Phoenix person here and it sucks. It will peg boost still but feels awefully down on power after driving 30 miles home. Dont know if it will peg boost then though.

Bill, keep us informed on the Desert COOLING package you are putting together. AZ, TX, hell anywhere that gets hot needs a good cooling package. Maybe some nice painless wiring for activating the IC pump and Fans for Radiator and H.E. would be good too.:D

Users who are viewing this thread