Heat Soak…..Holy WOW…..

sundaze

Established Member
2012 with only a CAI and VMP tune.
This weekend I added an Aeroforce Interceptor gauge in a vent pod. This was so simple….almost stupid easy……It took me longer to find a couple of zip ties to secure the wiring then it did to remove the vent and install the gauge.
I fired up the car and only set up 2 parameters for now. Intake Air temp, IAT and IAT2, post intercooler temp.
I headed up the road to my local home improvement store. The drive is about 13 miles, 10 are a single lane 50mph then the last are 40 mph stop and go, with about 6 traffic lights. I live in Maryland and I know it’s not as hot as way down south…..but at 9am the outside temp was 80 with a heat advisory for the day. On my way up to the store, 10 miles I saw intake temp of 78- 82….with IAT2 topped out 126-128 by the time I hit the first light and sat for about a minute the IAT was 86 and IAT2 mid 130’s.
I was in the store about 45 minutes and when I returned to the car started the temps were IAT low 140’s and IAT2 of 178…..holy smokes……After 3 or so miles of stop and go 6 lights and a top speed of about 40 the temps came down a bit…..IAT 134, IAT2 148. Made the turn to my 10 mile, 50 mph stretch……It took about 5 miles for the temps to come down to IAT 88 and IAT2 of 134-138……
All of these temps were from just a normal cruise….never got on the car one bit…..
Triple Pass Heat Exchanger here I come.

sundaze

Established Member
I'm sure it is...but for about the same money the VMP triple kit also has larger fans

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I'm sure it is...but for about the same money the VMP triple kit also has larger fans

Precisely. We no longer make a dual pass....C&R and AFCO do. Our Triple Pass, as Sundaze mentioned, also has 11" Spal fans as opposed to the standard 10" on C&R and AFCO. Our harness system is plug and play and specific to your car. Interestingly enough, the pitch is slightly different on the 11" blades and they're slightly quieter as a bonus.

$799 less the svtperformance.com discount (code VMPROCKS2)

nxhappy

Established Member
dual Fan HE is fine, plenty of people running them

as long as it has fans it will cool down significantly

you REALLY want to cool it down, go with METH

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Not sure the triple pass is a huge improvement over dual, however the plug n play is what would sell me. The wiring on the older unit was a pain to me.

fullboogie

Established Member
I think you're going to be surprised at how little H/E's affect IAT2's on the street.

DGladhill

Established Member
Not sure the triple pass is a huge improvement over dual, however the plug n play is what would sell me. The wiring on the older unit was a pain to me.

I think it took me all of 20 minutes ( the wiring ), including installing the fuse to keep the fans running 100% of the time the ignition is on and mounting everything securely. Most of that was running a loom through tight spots to keep it protected :beer:

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
I wasn't. Temps went from 130ish to around 108 driving around town and some freeway miles. Worked good for me.

I used to get heat soaked drivin around town and lose a ton of power. Kinda crappy when you can't even spin the tires on a 500hp car. Well Vans dual fan took care of that. Never exerienced heatsoak or power loss since.

Where about in MD are you OP?

RBB

Established Member
The fanned units certainly do help.

Sundaze, what PID are you selecting on your Interceptor to monitor IAT1? I've looked for that and can't seem to find it.

Don03cobra

Established Member
I just installed a trip core with double fans and did some data logging the other day.... 12 degrees was the maximum that I saw between ambient (94 deg) and downstream (106).
I'm extremely pleased to say the least!!!

sundaze

Established Member
The fanned units certainly do help.

Sundaze, what PID are you selecting on your Interceptor to monitor IAT1? I've looked for that and can't seem to find it.
First item in the setup.
My first screen of the set up looks like this:
INTAKE AIR
IAT2
KNOCK RET
LRND KNK COR
CHRG AIR
COOLANT
CAT TEMP B1S1
CAT TEMP B2S1

Where about in MD are you OP?

Easton/Oxford Area

RBB

Established Member
First item in the setup.
My first screen of the set up looks like this:
INTAKE AIR
IAT2
KNOCK RET
LRND KNK COR
CHRG AIR
COOLANT
CAT TEMP B1S1
CAT TEMP B2S1

Easton/Oxford Area

That's weird, I don't have that. My first item in the setup is IATg....it gives me no reading on the gauge for that.

Imatk

Established Member
The first time wiring the C&R took a little more time for me because the original instructions just had a schematic.

The one I installed recently had much better instructions. But I had already done the job once so it wasn't as big a pain.

I would like to see a comparison between the C&R and the VMP Triple pass unit though... interested if there's more benefit.

For me at least... I think the plug-n-play is awesome but if it doesn't perform better then I can wire up something myself :)

sundaze

Established Member
here is the email I had with aeroforce.

that is the correct setup.. on the 11+ gauge there is no platform 4. It is not needed.that gauge is built specifically for the '12 gt500

Sent: Sunday, July 19, 2015 9:57 AM
Subject: 2012 gt500

I purchased and receive the aeroforce interceptor this past Monday.
I bought the unit from VMP Tuning and I believed it was drop shipped from you.
I installed the unit yesterday and I had some questions that I cannot find in your forums.
The box is labeled CNF101 11+
When I first turned on the unit the cobra logo appeared and the unit started with a couple of parameters being displayed.
I never received an option to setup “Platform 4 Parameters”
When I cycle through the setup these are the parameters I get to select from: see below

Is this set-up correctly? Is there a way to reset to select “platform 4”?

Thanks,
Dave

INTAKE AIR
IAT2
KNOCK RET
LRND KNK COR
CHRG AIR
COOLANT
CAT TEMP B1S1
CAT TEMP B2S1
RPM
BOOST inHg/PSI
BOOST DSRD
MAP KPA
MAP lb/m
MPH
THROTTLE PCT
IGNITION ADV
SHORT TRIM B1
SHORT TRIM B2
LONG TRIM B1
LONG TRIM B2
ENGINE LOAD
FUEL STATUS
RAIL PRESS D1
FUEL PRS DSRD
FUEL PRESS
MPG
HP
RUN TIME
CMD EQ RAT
B1S1 EQ RAT
B2S1 EQ RAT
CMD A/F RAT
B1S1 A/F RAT
B2S2 A/F RAT
BAROMETER
BATTERY
FUEL TEMP
TCC SLIP 1
TCC SLIP 4
HEAD TEMP 2
TRAN TEMP 1
TRAN TEMP 2
TRAN TEMP 3
TRAN TEMP 4
FUEL PUMP DC
MAF FREQ
ANALOG 1
ANALOG2

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
Any brand dual fan HE will be a huge improvement over stock. As for which one is better, the world will never know lol. Unless someone does a swap on the same car with the same exact conditions it's impossible to compare. I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever dual fan HE you get. I have an Afco dual fan, got a good price on a new one here in the for sale section. I let price dictate my decision. I would have no problem putting any of the dual fan HE's on the market in my car.

RBB

Established Member
here is the email I had with aeroforce.

that is the correct setup.. on the 11+ gauge there is no platform 4. It is not needed.that gauge is built specifically for the '12 gt500

Sent: Sunday, July 19, 2015 9:57 AM
Subject: 2012 gt500

I purchased and receive the aeroforce interceptor this past Monday.
I bought the unit from VMP Tuning and I believed it was drop shipped from you.
I installed the unit yesterday and I had some questions that I cannot find in your forums.
The box is labeled CNF101 11+
When I first turned on the unit the cobra logo appeared and the unit started with a couple of parameters being displayed.
I never received an option to setup “Platform 4 Parameters”
When I cycle through the setup these are the parameters I get to select from: see below

Is this set-up correctly? Is there a way to reset to select “platform 4”?

Thanks,
Dave

INTAKE AIR
IAT2
KNOCK RET
LRND KNK COR
CHRG AIR
COOLANT
CAT TEMP B1S1
CAT TEMP B2S1
RPM
BOOST inHg/PSI
BOOST DSRD
MAP KPA
MAP lb/m
MPH
THROTTLE PCT
IGNITION ADV
SHORT TRIM B1
SHORT TRIM B2
LONG TRIM B1
LONG TRIM B2
ENGINE LOAD
FUEL STATUS
RAIL PRESS D1
FUEL PRS DSRD
FUEL PRESS
MPG
HP
RUN TIME
CMD EQ RAT
B1S1 EQ RAT
B2S1 EQ RAT
CMD A/F RAT
B1S1 A/F RAT
B2S2 A/F RAT
BAROMETER
BATTERY
FUEL TEMP
TCC SLIP 1
TCC SLIP 4
HEAD TEMP 2
TRAN TEMP 1
TRAN TEMP 2
TRAN TEMP 3
TRAN TEMP 4
FUEL PUMP DC
MAF FREQ
ANALOG 1
ANALOG2

Maybe that's why I don't have that PID then. My gauges are about a year and a half old and I'm using Platform 4. They're not built specifically for the Shelby. Maybe they can update my firmware to whatever you're running.

sundaze

Established Member
Maybe that's why I don't have that PID then. My gauges are about a year and a half old and I'm using Platform 4. They're not built specifically for the Shelby. Maybe they can update my firmware to whatever you're running.

pm sent

Users who are viewing this thread