Heat Soak on Stock Eaton

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
With the stock ford diff, I was contantly puking out oil at events.. My problem what not that I was wetting the track, it was that I was cooking the diff oil om my exhaust tubes to the point where I was making smoke. I kept getting black flagged for it. Since I installed the T2R, there has been no puking, and the oil still looks very close the condition I put it in there at the time I installed the diff. It has been in there one full season, and will be getting a fresh change next week.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Hey Jimmy. Good point. I haven't either, until my last event. At the end of the second day, I trailered my car home and noticed diff fluid on the trailer bed. It waspuking out of the vent tube. time for a catch can. what is a truetrac? similiar to a torsen diff?

Yes a TrueTrac is a torque sensing slip limiter similar to the Torsen T2R but with a lower bias ratio, since it does not have the helper clutches the T2R has. It is also slightly less money.
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=400949+314530+115&autoview=sku

The TrueTrac was redesigned a few years back and gained a significant amount of strength. The early version had been known to break case bolts.

They are now strong enough that they have become popular with the Terminator drag guys, even the live axle swap guys.
Yes these are the same guys running 700+ foot pounds of parts breaking torque, and doing clutch drops on drag radials and full blown slicks.:eek:
They like them because they are much safer on the street than a spool yet are still VERY strong.

It's a great diff for the money and the operation of it is totally transparent.

The reasons I now run one are..... in a nut shell
No diff clutch rebuilds.
Smooth seamless operation.
Able to put more power down sooner in a corner. (IMHO)

I have no idea if they run any cooler or not. I doubt they do,:shrug::dw: just because they still function via friction, which of course makes heat.

EDIT: I don't have any diff bushings melting because they are either Delrin or Aluminum(diff position)
I advise people not to run Poly Urethane bushings on an IRS diff because they get way too soft at the temps these things get .... even on the street.
The ones in the diff position are famous for melting both OE and Poly bushings. This is also a position that loads them VERY heavily, which is why people will see them squeezed right out.

Last edited:

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Hey Shannon. Good to hear from you. I am getting a 2.93 pulley and doing a bunch of suggestions from this Forum. I think it was a combination of things. I really appreciate the great feedback. Are you coming down to TWS at the end of March?
So far yes. I have a trailer lined up and now am waiting to see if a buddy can come with his F150 to tow it. Just had longtubes and o/r x-pipe installed so not really wanting to driver her six hours with that kind of resonance. Not to mention trying to keep the miles down and having a back up plan should something break.

CYAZ06

Established Member
Yes a TrueTrac is a torque sensing slip limiter similar to the Torsen T2R but with a lower bias ratio, since it does not have the helper clutches the T2R has. It is also slightly less money.
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=400949+314530+115&autoview=sku

The TrueTrac was redesigned a few years back and gained a significant amount of strength. The early version had been known to break case bolts.

They are now strong enough that they have become popular with the Terminator drag guys, even the live axle swap guys.
Yes these are the same guys running 700+ foot pounds of parts breaking torque, and doing clutch drops on drag radials and full blown slicks.:eek:
They like them because they are much safer on the street than a spool yet are still VERY strong.

It's a great diff for the money and the operation of it is totally transparent.

The reasons I now run one are..... in a nut shell
No diff clutch rebuilds.
Smooth seamless operation.
Able to put more power down sooner in a corner. (IMHO)

I have no idea if they run any cooler or not. I doubt they do,:shrug::dw: just because they still function via friction, which of course makes heat.

EDIT: I don't have any diff bushings melting because they are either Delrin or Aluminum(diff position)
I advise people not to run Poly Urethane bushings on an IRS diff because they get way too soft at the temps these things get .... even on the street.
The ones in the diff position are famous for melting both OE and Poly bushings. This is also a position that loads them VERY heavily, which is why people will see them squeezed right out.

Thanks again Jimmy. I have the entire MM suspension. So aluminum diff bushings are in place. I have also wrapped my exhaust under the pumpkin in header tape with silicons spray as well. Really keeps the heat down. Diff cooler next.

BTW, do you have any pics of the ducting you did on the front of your car to stuff more air into the rad? Thanks a bunch.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Thanks again Jimmy. I have the entire MM suspension. So aluminum diff bushings are in place. I have also wrapped my exhaust under the pumpkin in header tape with silicons spray as well. Really keeps the heat down. Diff cooler next.

BTW, do you have any pics of the ducting you did on the front of your car to stuff more air into the rad? Thanks a bunch.

No, I'm not done with it. All I've done so far is some minor edge sealing around the a/c condenser to rad area, and the wider deeper lower air damn.

Racebronco2 has done what I need to do. The TOTAL RADIATOR BOX IN. Seal the bottom near the p/s cooler and h/e.

You basically make sure all air that goes in the front GOES THOUGH the RADIATOR. Not under it, not over it and not around it, seal it up , box it in.

CYAZ06

Established Member
No, I'm not done with it. All I've done so far is some minor edge sealing around the a/c condenser to rad area, and the wider deeper lower air damn.

Racebronco2 has done what I need to do. The TOTAL RADIATOR BOX IN. Seal the bottom near the p/s cooler and h/e.

You basically make sure all air that goes in the front GOES THOUGH the RADIATOR. Not under it, not over it and not around it, seal it up , box it in.

Cool. I am working on it. See you at TWS in March!

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
I've never had any fluid barf out of my rear end(except when I've eaten too much Mexican food):-D

I know quite a few guys in our SCMC club are running an IRS with no cooler also.

Now some could say... "Well Jimmy, you're just too damn slow!" :poke: and they would probably be right, although Brian rode with me and he said I need to slow down a little bit(stock mushy suspension)...LOL!

I am running a TruTrack, which still makes heat but maybe not as much?

I know 03 Cobra Toy runs without a cooler (w/ trutrack) and he has not barfed gear oil either.... and we know he is NOT SLOW.

If I ever do barf gear lube... I am going to hook up a catch can so it doesn't get on the cat back and smoke causing me to get black flagged.

A nice side effect of that would also be no gear lube on the freaking track!!

My car did this at Daytona and a buddies did it at Daytona and Sebring. Melted bushings too.

Maybe you just not running high enough speeds long enough to build the heat?

9746C

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
Didn't 2000 R's come with a Torsen?

I know the R's will overheat, but I don't recall if they are Torsen or T-Lock.

9746C

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Why is IRS more prone to over-heating than the solid axle rearend?

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
So what do they come with?

http://www.corral.net/tech/documentary/2kcobrarnew.html
"The limited slip is a special unit manufactured by Visteon called the Gerodisctm, which is a hydro-mechanical differential with speed and torque sensitivity."

http://www.sae.org/automag/globalview_09-00/01.htm
"Visteon supplies the speed- and torque-sensitive hydromechanical differential, which gives the car more predictable performance and improved torque-transfer capability. Speed sensitivity is provided by a gerotor pump. When one of the halfshafts rotates at a greater speed than the other, the pump applies hydraulic pressure to compress the clutch pack and transfer torque to the other wheel. The differential's torque sensitivity helps maintain grip during straight-line acceleration. When one wheel spins relative to the other, the differential's beveled helical gears produce an axial force that, like the gerotor pump's action, compresses the clutch pack to transfer torque."

Quite a few guys have burned these up.:burn:

Users who are viewing this thread