Heat soaked and running like poo

DarkMesa8

4.6 Rookie, 5.0 Pro
Established Member
This is my first full blown summer with the 01, and doing some errands today, I'm pretty sure I heat soaked the hell out of the engine bay. The car eventually started to run like complete crap, misfiring, low on power, pinging. Let it cool for a few hours, ran fine.

Obviously, heat soak is the culprit.

Is this the COP's, or hot spots in the engine?

If it is the COPs, should they be this vulnerable to heat soak, or does it indicate their at the end of their life?

Boss75

Shoot first
Established Member
I don't know...It's been pretty hot lately around here (105+) and my car is running great. I would look into something other than just the heat being the problem.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Tune issue?

I know blown cars can be affected more by heat but they shouldnt missfire or anything.

01vert

Established Member
Recent work to the cooling system? Coolant air bubble? Have not heard alot about these cars having trouble at higher temps.

Does your fan kick onto high?

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
I cant tell you this. I put a LFP DP H/E on my s-trimmed/aftercooled car and it made a world of difference from that stock (crap) vortech h/e unit. Im still running my stock radiator though.

DarkMesa8

4.6 Rookie, 5.0 Pro
Established Member
01 venom, when you say it helped out the car a lot, how would you describe your problems beforehand?

I can tell that the car has issues after driving around, parking for maybe 10-15 minutes, and than driving it again. The more I repeat this procedure, the more down on power it feels, sputtering when slowing to idle, misfires at idle, and spark knock when accelerating.

No cooling system work since... January range.

droptopsnake, I'm afraid I don't understand the abbreviations you've used.

Users who are viewing this thread