Heater core restrictor?

NEOH1

Established Member
Hi all,

I was in the process of replacing the 2 heater core hoses. While reading up on this, I discovered numerous threads about the heater core going bad. The lack of a restrictor seemed to be a common cause. I checked my core tubes, old hoses and new Ford hoses and no restrictor in any. When my car was new, I had a heater hose failure under warranty.
Maybe it was removed then and never repaced?
Do 93 Cobras come with the restrictor?
Should I add one since its not in there?
Have I been very lucky my heater core has not gone due to no restrictor?
I called my local dealer and they did not have a listing for the restrictor for my car.

Thanks

Last edited:

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
The restrictor was put in there to stop a noise caused by the water going in and out of the heater core.

The restrictor is NOT needed in any way, unless you have that weird gurggling type noise.

svt2205

Established Member
When I replaced hoses and all this summer on my 93 there was not a restrictor. But then again, I never took it in for the gurgling complaint back during the warranty days. But if you need to get one of these our friend Jim at PPI has them http://www.performancepartsinc.com/engine.htm there about 3/4 of the way down the page for 13.99

fromme

Mustang Addict
Established Member
I replaced my original hoses with the silicone ones. One of the original heater hoses on my Cobra had the restrictor. You don't need it, but it doesn't hurt to have it either.
Some say it's there to get rid of a noise, some say it's to keep the core from rupturing when the engine is run at high rpm for an extended period of time.

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
fromme said:
I replaced my original hoses with the silicone ones. One of the original heater hoses on my Cobra had the restrictor. You don't need it, but it doesn't hurt to have it either.
Some say it's there to get rid of a noise, some say it's to keep the core from rupturing when the engine is run at high rpm for an extended period of time.

Its only there for a noise issue.

NEOH1

Established Member
Thanks guys. I am surprised by the answer. Over on the "Corral" it seems everyone that blows out the heater core blames it on the lack of a restrictor.

99SVT3753

5.4L Snake
Established Member
true .. the resistrictor helps keep the heater core from blowing on these engines since they run hotter than the SOHC. I'm not sure if the pre-99s have them or not, I'd have to pull up the Repair Manual and take a look.

first I've EVER heard that it was to keep the water gurgling sound from happening. Kinda funny tho if ya think about it cuz it would work I guess. You have air in your system if you get that much of gurgling at the core.

To re-explain this from our original postings on here somewhere:
the inlet tube to heater core is physically larger than the outlet tube. as the hot coolant goes into the core, it gets bottlenecked at the outlet. after time of the extreme heat, the welds tend to melt or the metal fatigues and can burst (cheaper aluminum tubing).

plain n simple :)

biggest thing you can do is add the coolant mod kit from LDC. that keeps the heat off the back of the driver's head, lowering overall heat into the core. Some even pick up a few extra horses.

Tim

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
I would really love to know where some people in this thread get their info from.

Being a Ford tech for 10 years plus I really get a kick out of what I see typed here.

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
my heater core when bad, so i by-passed it. wont need it since i don't drive it in the cold mornings or night. in fact, i haven't driven it in a long time.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
BadBoy: Explain this... if the restrictor is just for gurgling issues then why don't the 4cyl cars ever have this part in place? The heater core is the same and functions the same so it too should gurgle just like a 5.0

Every EFI 5.0 I have ever seen that has not been messed with has the restrictor in place. I have had 100's of fox bodys over the years so I have had to replace many heater cores. If the restrictor is not put back into the new heater hoses the core will ussually rupture within 3-4 months of driving time... yet everytime I get one of these cars that has blown a heater core due to missing restrictor and replace the core and install a restrictor, the owners have had the heater core last for years just like the original one did......

I will not do a a heater core job w/o installing the restrictor on a 5.0 car.

I think the higher rpm that a 5.0 sees (maybe water pump design too) causes the system to build too much pressure and the heater core is the weak link. The restrictor reduces the pressure on the heater core casuing it to last a lot longer.

fromme

Mustang Addict
Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:
I would really love to know where some people in this thread get their info from.

Being a Ford tech for 10 years plus I really get a kick out of what I see typed here.

Dude, the same applies to you. I really get a kick out of some of the questions and comments you post, especially being a 10 year Ford 'tech'. :rollseyes What, you think this information (be it accurate or otherwise) was just put out recently? I'd like to know who told you the restrictor was because of gurgling issue.

5liter

Foxbody FTMFW!
Established Member
restrict.jpg

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
fromme said:
Dude, the same applies to you. I really get a kick out of some of the questions and comments you post, especially being a 10 year Ford 'tech'. :rollseyes What, you think this information (be it accurate or otherwise) was just put out recently? I'd like to know who told you the restrictor was because of gurgling issue.

Fords internet website/books/hotline/SSM's/TSB's for starters.

Where do you get your info from ? I really hope your not going to say stangnet either.

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
twisted89GT said:

That looks like a aftermarket heater core, I havent done one in a Fox for many years now.

All the late model stuff is aluminum and needs to be grounded and have baking soda added to them to prevent electrolysis from happening.

I hope that other guy that questined me on my knowledge knows what electrolysis is.

fromme

Mustang Addict
Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:
I hope that other guy that questined me on my knowledge knows what electrolysis is.

Of course I do, your momma had it done to remove her mustache and unibrow.
Show me a TSB, hotline #, or manual with that info in it, and I'll help you spread the word. I'm still saying you've been listening to the oil changers/air filter sellers too much.

Last edited:

BADBOYSPACK

Ford Tech
Established Member
fromme said:
Of course I do, your momma had it done to remove her mustache and unibrow.
Show me a TSB, hotline #, or manual with that info in it, and I'll help you spread the word. I'm still saying you've been listening to the oil changers/air filter sellers too much.

blowme.jpg

ENOUGH SAID !

99SVT3753

5.4L Snake
Established Member
BADBOYSPACK said:

don't pull that card .. cuz I love showing the local Lithia Ford mechanic - "he's #3 tech in the entire US" according to his service manager - and thought 99+ needed a gear to change the speedo sending when I replaced the rear gears for 3.73's ? then pulled the OH!!! it's a Cobra - that makes a difference .. LOL .. D O P E .. (they stopped using those lil plastic gears in most domestic vehicles at least a couple months ago) HAHAHAHA

ya .. I didn't go to mechanics school for nothing either LOL

typically the restrictors were used from 85-02 .. not sure if the SC cobras used them or not .. would have to ask a couple local racers I know.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread