Heavy bags..

blowncoupe89

Established Member
Interested in buying a heavy bag to punch/kick. I think this would do me some good cardio. Not sure what weight bag to get, any ideas. I'm 5'8" 170lbs if this helps

Ride Along

i has an avatar!
Established Member
I'd get a hanging one rather than a floor one. (floor ones tend to creep around) They make a hell of a racket though. If you put it in the basement, chances are that every time you hit it the sound will reverberate throughout the house through the beam it is mounted on. A friend had one mounted in his garage, and that worked out better than in the basement.

titleboxing.com has a good selection. I've also ordered a lot of stuff from ringside.com. Title usually sends better freebies.

I'd get one that is at least 3 feet in diameter that weighs less than you do. You don't want a super light one, or it will move around too much. Some sporting goods places have different bags mounted, you can always go hit a couple and see what feels appropriate. You want it to move a bit to absorb the punch/kick but not move so much that it is wobbling like a drunk.

Asd60303

Lead. Never Follow
Established Member
i believe the bag is suposed to be 1/2 your weight in LBS. So you probably want an 80LB bag.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Find yourself a Masochist fat girl ... cheaper .. and if she cooks your even more solid

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Spend the money on a leather one or a nice quality synthetic leather bag. Title and Ringside, both listed above, make really nice shit. I've been buying from them for years. They have brackets and pretty much anything you need to hang a bag. I would buy one between 70-100lbs. If you want to kick, I'd look into a Muay Thai bag. They're 6' tall, so they work better if you're doing a lot of kicking.

Wintermute

Banned
Full length (1 foot off the floor) 2-chain heavy bag, 125-150lbs, leather with firm stuffing that squishes a bit but rebounds. DONT get a water-bag they suck. Dont hang it off a wood rafter.

Skrapmetal

Established Member
Wave bags are great to put in your basement if noise is an issue.

I like Everlast bare canvas bags, too. Just what I grew up with... good for keeping your knuckles tough.

Users who are viewing this thread