Heel and Toe Downshifting Techniques

Andy M

Established Member
One of the guys on our BMW M5 message board found this great write up which technically describes the mechanics of how to properly perform Heel and Toe rev matching and downshifting. I thought you might find this useful and interesting. I learned how to use Heel and Toe at a very young age as I learned to drive on a stick in my Dad's Ford F350 truck; so I don't even think about it or realize that I am doing it now. However, I've had a lot of people ride with me in the R or the M5 and ask how to do this? This is how....

Heel and Toe Techniques

Andy M

Established Member
Cornering is everything!

Man, I was just reading some of the other articles on this web site and there is some great stuff in here!! Probably boring to guys like Kevin and Joe who are experienced drivers, but for a novice like me...its all good!!

Take a look at this one which explains cornering....

Its all about CORNERING!!

Cobra-R

Established Member
Re: Cornering is everything!

Originally posted by Andy M
Man, I was just reading some of the other articles on this web site and there is some great stuff in here!! Probably boring to guys like Kevin and Joe who are experienced drivers, but for a novice like me...its all good!!

Take a look at this one which explains cornering....

Its all about CORNERING!!

Boy, I know what you mean. I have been reading thru all of the articles since you posted the link. Good stuff in there. :D

BRIMSTONE

Great articles. I still can't truly heel-toe downshift, it's embarrassing. I'm going out to Willow Springs in a couple weeks in the Z with an instructor - hopefully I will have a better grasp of it afterwards. Right now it seems as hard as juggling 3 eggs with your feet!

Kevin did you ever find a way to level out the gas and brake pedals on the R?

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread