Hellcat vs camaro vs GT500 on dyno at Kenne Bell

Gabed1972

Established Member
So if the Shelby had a similar size and style blower do you think even with less displacement it could out produce the hellcat engine

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
VERY cool comparison, thanks for posting!
Shows our little 5.8 does pretty darn well, not mentioning the 600# weight advantage.
I still think a HC Charger would replace my E55 nicely though ;-)
-J
:beer:

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
More power for 1200rpm (5000 to 6200) isn't going to amount to much I'm afraid. Even makes a smidge less on the low end. Wish they had included the torque curve.

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
So if the Shelby had a similar size and style blower do you think even with less displacement it could out produce the hellcat engine

So a 2.3 vs a 2.4 isnt similar size? And im pretty sure many in here know of the advantages the TVS's have over same sized twin screws. Why else would guys be swapping out the twin screws for TVS's.

The trinity 5.8 damn sure isnt a small 4.6 like those that came in the Cobras. 5.8 vs 6.2 isnt that drastic. That small advantage is negated buy it spinning 1500 more rpm.

Last edited:

Hourigan218

Established Member
.1 liter in the blower and about 65 cubic inches equal about 30 hp difference factor in the weight and I think we got this.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
The video was a little long but good. One thing I'm curious about is what makes them think they can spin the hellcat's engine to 7k, that's a big jump from 6,200rpms? The hellcat doesn't make much more power over our cars in stock trim. Not to mention the hellcat is still 600 pounds heavier. At the end of the day a 6 speed hellcat against a 6 speed 13/14 GT500, my money is on the GT500.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
So a 2.3 vs a 2.4 isnt similar size? And im pretty sure man in here know of the advantages the TVS's have over same sized twin screws. Why else would guys be swapping out the twin screws for TVS's.

The trinity 5.8 damn sure isnt a small 4.6 like those that came in the Cobras. 5.8 vs 6.2 isnt that drastic. That small advantage is negated buy it spinning 1500 more rpm.
Not sure if you meant to say this, but the HC has a twin screw 2.4 IHI blower, so it had theoretical advantage over our 2.3 TVS roots.
Regarding cubic inches, you're looking at minimum 45hp from the size difference, so the GT500 motor makes more power/cube, as expected with a 4V.
All in all, I'll take our Trinity over the HC motor all day.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
The video was a little long but good. One thing I'm curious about is what makes them think they can spin the hellcat's engine to 7k, that's a big jump from 6,200rpms? The hellcat doesn't make much more power over our cars in stock trim. Not to mention the hellcat is still 600 pounds heavier. At the end of the day a 6 speed hellcat against a 6 speed 13/14 GT500, my money is on the GT500.

RPM exponentially increases engine stress, but the modern HEMI should take 7000rpm without much issue. But not sure on the rods, valve springs or pushrods used in the HC, all things I'd be worried about with boosted 7000rpm loads.
-J

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
Not sure if you meant to say this, but the HC has a twin screw 2.4 IHI blower, so it had theoretical advantage over our 2.3 TVS roots.
Regarding cubic inches, you're looking at minimum 45hp from the size difference, so the GT500 motor makes more power/cube, as expected with a 4V.
-J

What gives the twin screw an advantage? Arent guys swapping out twin screws for TVS's? Dont TVS's make more TQ?

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
-J

5.8= 1.88hp per ci
6.2=1.91hp per ci

Hellcat makes more hp per cube while using 3-4 less psi of boost.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
What gives the twin screw an advantage? Arent guys swapping out twin screws for TVS's? Dont TVS's make more TQ?

A twin screw is actually a compressor that builds boost in the case, it is more efficient than any roots blower, even the best of the roots (TVS).
TVS seems to build more low end boost than a twin screw, I'd still always take a twin screw over a TVS, even though I love the TVS on our GT500s
-J

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
A twin screw is actually a compressor that builds boost in the case, it is more efficient than any roots blower, even the best of the roots (TVS).
TVS seems to build more low end boost than a twin screw, I'd still always take a twin screw over a TVS, even though I love the TVS on our GT500s
-J

You just explained to me how they work. Still wondering whats their advantages. Being more efficient translates into what? On paper? On the track?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
5.8= 1.88hp per ci
6.2=1.91hp per ci

Hellcat makes more hp per cube while using 3-4 less psi of boost.

I thought the HC was 6.4, my mistake.
Boost is related to lots of factors, will be interesting to see how the HC responds to mild common mods we know work on these cars.
If you didn't catch my first post, I'm thinking of getting a HC Charger, but not at the expense of my GT500.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
You just explained to me how they work. Still wondering whats their advantages. Being more efficient translates into what? On paper? On the track?
Google efficiency if you're going to ask my that question, answer it yourself.
-J

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
Thats a cop out.

I know exactly what efficiency is but you're claiming its superior due to efficiency. So im asking YOU what exactly does efficiency translate to on paper when talking blowers.

Stop beating around the bush and break it down why a twin screw is superior. Im all for learning.

Users who are viewing this thread