Hellion guys, 66mm or 76

Hellion 66mm or 76mm

Votes: 2 8.0%

Votes: 23 92.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gsloth

Established Member
Well I am about to pull the trigger on a single hellion kit and get rid of my kb 2.8H. This is a pure street car, and I am just looking for something different and fun. I am torn on getting the 66mm or 76mm turbo as I am worried about lag with being used to my full boost at 2500 kb. Power wise, I am not looking for crazy numbers, I just want usable street hp, I would run 600-650rwhp running around on the street most of the time, and would like the ability to turn it up to 700rwhp or so if I felt like it. I have searched through countless threads but I haven't been able to find anyone running the 66mm, seems everyone goes for the T76. Guys that have gone hellion, what do you think? I am leaning towards the 66, will the 66mm be my best bet for my desired goals with faster spool, or should I just go for the 76?

TRBO VNM

the 76 is the standard size with the hellion single kit.

my only concern is the lower grunt that you have with the KB and wanting to try and keep some of that.

with any setup you will start building boost once you hit the throttle, but the 76 you won't have full boost till 4k rpms. the 66 is closer to 3k rpms.

the only time you will notice lag is the gear you hit the gas in. once you shift into the next gear it just continues to pull with little to no drop depending on how fast you shift.

looking for 700 is really on the break point between turbo's. the 66 and 76 will get you there, but you do have spool time differences. the 76 will be more efficient and more room to go up in power.

KingCobra10Sec

Project Cobra R in Progre
Established Member
the 76 is the standard size with the hellion single kit.

my only concern is the lower grunt that you have with the KB and wanting to try and keep some of that.

with any setup you will start building boost once you hit the throttle, but the 76 you won't have full boost till 4k rpms. the 66 is closer to 3k rpms.

the only time you will notice lag is the gear you hit the gas in. once you shift into the next gear it just continues to pull with little to no drop depending on how fast you shift.

looking for 700 is really on the break point between turbo's. the 66 and 76 will get you there, but you do have spool time differences. the 76 will be more efficient and more room to go up in power.

Couldnt have said it any better.

gsloth

Established Member
I think I am going to go with 76. Where did you guys pick up the 99-01 parts not included in the kit? Are they any places to buy from that stocks them, or am I going to have to rummage around the internet looking for them?

Woodys2000

Run 9's or STFU
Established Member
Do you have long tubes? Also are you going to have a shop do yours? If so call me at 910-717-3955 (Woody). I am wanti-76 polished kit and would trade you in a heart beat if you pay for a shop to do the swap!! You can also hit me on AOL at [email protected].

gsloth

Established Member
Do you have long tubes? Also are you going to have a shop do yours? If so call me at 910-717-3955 (Woody). I am wanti-76 polished kit and would trade you in a heart beat if you pay for a shop to do the swap!! You can also hit me on AOL at [email protected].

Yeah I have long tubes, and a local shop is doing all my work. Why so quick to trade? Not happy with your T76?

gt347mustang

Established Member
I don't have a turbo, but i voted for the 76 anyways! If i had the money, that's the kit i'd be running.

If you end up going turbo, sell me your 2.8! :)

gsloth

Established Member
I don't have a turbo, but i voted for the 76 anyways! If i had the money, that's the kit i'd be running.

If you end up going turbo, sell me your 2.8! :)

I'm definitely going turbo, probably ordering the T76 kit this monday, but I need to scope out all the 99-01 parts I will need.

TRBO VNM

here is what I would do

buy the alternator and upper/lower intake used from a forum or ebay. usually those come with the throttle cable bracket and the alternator bracket.

I would buy the throttle cable and alternator pigtail harness from steve at tousley ford.

the belt, I think hellion has it wrong on their site. you need a belt that is between 98 and 99 inches. I have a napa part number of K060987 on my install instructions I wrote (modified hellion's). And I used that before, but now Napa locally says they don't carry that. so something close, but not over 99. if anything, just under the 987 if you get it from napa.

EGR, I delete.

red03dave

Established Member
Find someone with an 99-01 Cobra or Mach 1 that wants to put a blower on your car. I got the entire setup off an 01 Cobra plus 1500 and it was all finished in about 3 weeks. Just make sure you get phone numbers and you give them everything they need to complete the swap. Don't know what your fuel setup is like now but make them pay extra for goodies if you are going to bigger injectors or sump setup yadda yadda. Just my .02, good luck with your changeover!

gsloth

Established Member
Find someone with an 99-01 Cobra or Mach 1 that wants to put a blower on your car. I got the entire setup off an 01 Cobra plus 1500 and it was all finished in about 3 weeks. Just make sure you get phone numbers and you give them everything they need to complete the swap. Don't know what your fuel setup is like now but make them pay extra for goodies if you are going to bigger injectors or sump setup yadda yadda. Just my .02, good luck with your changeover!

I'm just going to buy the kit new to make an easier, less worrisome swap. I'll sell off my 2.8H with the intake manifold for a decent price, as it has less than 3000 miles on it. I found an 01 cobra intake last night off a member here and its shipping out tomo, hoping to have the T76 kit ordered tomorrow and everything done and tuned in the coming weeks.

syclone50

Established Member
I have the s-trim t76 with a .96 hot side and did not like the lag. I talked with hellion and turbonetics several times before deciding on a .68 hotside. The t76 will be just that a t76 and wont change airflow. I am sure i will loose 20hp at redline but for street driving I wanted a quicker spool and I hope this helps. Turbonetics told me I would pick up 50 or so torque and the powerband would move down 1000rpms. I should have the car on the road this week and will post results.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
I have the s-trim t76 with a .96 hot side and did not like the lag. I talked with hellion and turbonetics several times before deciding on a .68 hotside. The t76 will be just that a t76 and wont change airflow. I am sure i will loose 20hp at redline but for street driving I wanted a quicker spool and I hope this helps. Turbonetics told me I would pick up 50 or so torque and the powerband would move down 1000rpms. I should have the car on the road this week and will post results.

Cool. Please post results. I just switched to a .81 on my 76 to help with the spool up.

gsloth

Established Member

Let us know how it turns out. My kit is shipping with the .96 this week and we'll see how it goes. If the lag is too bad for my tastes I may step down.

Got Torque

well do yah?
Established Member
If it's a stock motor it will be laggy.
Mine is not bad now, but I am .030" over, 9.0:1 compression, cams, etc.
You will likely have to step down to a .81.
I still may do so as well.

TRBO VNM

If it's a stock motor it will be laggy.
Mine is not bad now, but I am .030" over, 9.0:1 compression, cams, etc.
You will likely have to step down to a .81.
I still may do so as well.

I think it is personal preference. I had both the .81 and .96 and really didn't feel much of a difference. It was maybe 2 or 300 rpm in spool time. I will say that up top the .96 felt and dyno showed it held the power better up top than the .81 which it fell off some.

someone else's opinion may be that it isn't that laggy at all.

now if you are talking about going from a 76 to a 88mm turbo, I would agree.

syclone50

Established Member
ok got the .68 finally. There is a noticable difference in spool time but were it really shines in the lower gears. With the .96 with my EBC set at 15lbs I would only see 5 in first, 12 in second and 15 in third. NOW with the .68 I see 13 in first and 15 in second. With the BFG DR's out back and 3.55 gears the car now pulls VERY hard in first where as before first gear was wothless. I have not had it dynod yet to see the differnce in torque curve or top end.

Users who are viewing this thread