Hellion twin turbo guys

Islandcat

Established Member
I was getting quotes about putting a bigger supercharger on my car when the guy I am dealing with told me of the compound boost kit. I am very intrigued by this set up so I started researching it a bit. It seems like everyone who has it says it is the most fun they have had in a street car. Bottom end of a roots blower and top end of a turbo. The only problem I have seen is some guys having trouble keeping the piping on the intake. Before I make my decision between this kit and the 2.9 whipple I would to hear some of y'all opinions and experiences with it

fastlif

Established Member
What type of racing do you want to do? 2.9 can make 700hp. Unless you track the car alot or roll race z06s and supras that is plenty. The blowers are much simpler.

Islandcat

Established Member
I go to drag strip every now and then. But yes, I am worried there is to much that can go wrong. A supercharger seems simpler and will make the same or close to same power. I am still on stock motor so both will get me 700 rwhp easily. I just think the whipple( or kenne bell) would be a lot less up keep. I don't want to have to carry a tool shed in my trunk if ya know what I mean

shelby mark

Established Member
I go to drag strip every now and then. But yes, I am worried there is to much that can go wrong. A supercharger seems simpler and will make the same or close to same power. I am still on stock motor so both will get me 700 rwhp easily. I just think the whipple( or kenne bell) would be a lot less up keep. I don't want to have to carry a tool shed in my trunk if ya know what I mean

Kenne bell LC 2.8 would be fun.

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
I would never feel comfortable driving around just because of the placement of the turbos

GarageLogic

Established Member
Had the system on my 2010 for almost 2 years now with zero issues. And it's my daily driver, rain or shine.(43k miles) Had a KB 2.8 on my 2007 and while it was great, I didn't have nearly as much fun as I do with the compound kit.

blacknlte

Established Member
Compound is a horrible idea. They are a pita to tune, and require stupid boost numbers to put down a good number.

Horrible idea cause why??? No they are not a pain in the ass to tune, its more that for ever 20 SC 500 there is 1 compound 500. Also there arent alot of tuners in the country that know what they are doing when it comes to that. But when you do find them its just like tuning a SC 500! For the stupid boost number.... at 16-17 psi I made 815hp & 889trq. Also made 954hp & 1020trq on 22psi. Now stupid boost numbers is 30+ like Tony (thebull) but hes making 1200+ lol

Theres no more to worry about a compound setup as a SC setup.

I would never feel comfortable driving around just because of the placement of the turbos

The turbos dont sit any lower then the exhaust system does.

All it comes down to is what you want to do with the car. SC is simpler and will make good power. Compound is alittle less simpler and will make awsome power and still drive like stock and sound stock until you lay into the throttle!

[youtube_browser]136hZ-VzgJo[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

Islandcat

Established Member
Blacknite have you had any issues? Also I am guessing I have to remove my 2.6 pulley and go back to stock for this setup

rdsnk46

Established Member
Turbo lag is not your friend!

You want simplicity get a TVS kit from VMP and call it a day. You want Big power get big KB/Whip, the Hellion kit is a logistical battle that can be overcome.....but it is not as simple as some make it out to be. Sgt D. had a kit and it ended up never being right.

AlanSVT

Established Member
I love my compound boost. Would it have been cheaper to go with a bigger turbo. Yes, but i was looking for something different. So far it has delivered.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

que4dog

Established Member
Hellion Compound boost setup for almost 3 years now! Great results! Installed and presently running with my own tune. There are great tuners out there such as Dave from Motiva Performance who started all my initial tuning. Hellion staff are excellent and very helpful. If I find an issue, they will bend over backwards to help out. 0 turbo lag. Never had a problem winning races. lol. I drive in New Orleans with terrible roads with a lowered car. There are advantages with both setups so it is up to you what is most important.

Carlos

Islandcat

Established Member
Hellion Compound boost setup for almost 3 years now! Great results! Installed and presently running with my own tune. There are great tuners out there such as Dave from Motiva Performance who started all my initial tuning. Hellion staff are excellent and very helpful. If I find an issue, they will bend over backwards to help out. 0 turbo lag. Never had a problem winning races. lol. I drive in New Orleans with terrible roads with a lowered car. There are advantages with both setups so it is up to you what is most important.

Carlos

Tell me about the bad roads around here lol. I think I will go with this kit. I like everything I hear about it. Just was worried about upkeep and maintanance

bull3441

Established Member
the Hellion system is old technology and garbage. Anyone who tells the OP the Hellion kit is a good unit has never owned a high end turbo system. you can have a custom kit built for less $. the Turbo's are standard Garrett T4 61mm, you can get them for $900 each. they use gasket&flange, pure garbage. you get a TurboXS Subaru BOV. what you get for the $ is not worth the investment. Turbo's are great, i've owned only turbo cars prior to the GT500. you make more power with less boost. however, there's a lot of headaches that comes with turbo's.

FordTT500

I love Turbos
Established Member
the Hellion system is old technology and garbage. Anyone who tells the OP the Hellion kit is a good unit has never owned a high end turbo system. you can have a custom kit built for less $. the Turbo's are standard Garrett T4 61mm, you can get them for $900 each. they use gasket&flange, pure garbage. you get a TurboXS Subaru BOV. what you get for the $ is not worth the investment. Turbo's are great, i've owned only turbo cars prior to the GT500. you make more power with less boost. however, there's a lot of headaches that comes with turbo's.

Hellion give you an option for precision turbos now. They give you a billet wheel option or a ball bearing center section option. They build to order so they can weld any clamps or flanges you want including v-band flanges and wiggins clamps. Hellion builds race cars so they give you the option to have "racecar" components. When I ordered my kit, they are building it for me with tial wastegate flanges and a tial 50mm blow off valve. Building custom kits are not cheap especially with twin turbos. There is a lot of R & D going into the GT500 because of all the placement and factory parts in the way.
Turbos are complex systems but when you have the knowledge about them they can be a big advantage over twin screws because of the ease of adjusting boost on the fly. They are not headaches. I've owned a supra, evo, and other turbo cars in the past with highend turbo builds. Hellion is a decent kit that can make good power within anyone's budget.

AlanSVT

Established Member

It may be old technology. But it does work for me and I have had only the issue with the intake pipe blowing off but that was a easy fix.

But you are more knowledgeable when it comes to turbos then me. so you may be right. But again, I am pleased with it all.

As far as a custom kit, I looked it to it and was told it would be right around 16k. Maybe down the road I will go this route but not anytime soon.

bull3441

Established Member
It may be old technology. But it does work for me and I have had only the issue with the intake pipe blowing off but that was a easy fix.

But you are more knowledgeable when it comes to turbos then me. so you may be right. But again, I am pleased with it all.

As far as a custom kit, I looked it to it and was told it would be right around 16k. Maybe down the road I will go this route but not anytime soon.
i'm guessing Hellion didn't have a bead on the intake pipe? at some point your EWG gaskets will blow out, they all do. it's an easy fix but annoying. this why a top kit uses V-band. i was all hot to get the kit, 'till i spoke with Hellion as to the specs. Good luck and enjoy your set-up.

Bullitt357

Established Member
LMFAO at guys that call the kits garbage that don't even own them. The guys that do own them all seem to enjoy them.

Users who are viewing this thread