helmet laws vs. seat belt laws

Grim's Reaper

NEXT.....................
Established Member
Ok, this is what I don't understand about PA state law. I'm hoping a LEO can give me some insight. Recently in the state of PA motorcyclists no longer are legally required to wear helmets while riding. However, it is my understanding that I can still get pulled over for not wearing my seat belt in my car??? What kind of sense does this make? Can someone explain this to me?:shrug:

sbro712

Established Member
Motorcyclists have a more lobbying power than the anti seat belt contingent.:)

Also, I bet if you check the law, you will find that to be able to not wear a helmet the rider wil be required to attend an MSF class and have X amount of insurance otherwise they will face a hefty fine. That's the way it is in Texas.

On a personal note, I would have no problem with someone not wearing a helmet or a seatbelt as long as you sign a waiver stating that if you are in an accident and your injuries require a lengthy hospital stay you will only receive treatment as long as your health benefits are good. As soon as they run out, we pull the plug. Also you will not receive any goverment disability money. If we can get all that passed ....then do what you want.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Originally posted by Grim's Reaper
Ok, this is what I don't understand about PA state law. I'm hoping a LEO can give me some insight. Recently in the state of PA motorcyclists no longer are legally required to wear helmets while riding. However, it is my understanding that I can still get pulled over for not wearing my seat belt in my car??? What kind of sense does this make? Can someone explain this to me?:shrug:

NOPE

It is your legislature at work! They make the laws, LEO's just enforce them. I think helmets are more important than seatbelts. Even in states with no helmet laws I wear mine.

Users who are viewing this thread