HELP…New issue for me on my 98 Cobra

BobL

Established Member
Hey guys, looking for a little help in identifying my current issue. I have just picked it up from having the interior re done. I drove it 10 minutes home and it quit just as I was pulling into the driveway.

I tried to restart and it turned over fine, but acted like it was not getting gas to fire. Open the hood, engine was very hot, radiator was very hot to touch, but could not get it to light up. It would turn and turn all day, but nothing more. I went into the house to let it sit for awhile, as I was going to give it one more effort. After waiting an hour, I went back out to start and it started right up.

Here are the things I need to check;

Radiator, but just had it gone through cleaning it up check coolant
Fan blade, need to check if it’s turning
Water Pump, Engine hot makes me think it’s not doing its job
Check the Thermostat, make sure not stuck

I am confused why anything water related would keep it from starting, to me I think I should be maybe testing the fuel, although it has a new gas filter and 3/4 tank of high octane.

I am a novice and the forum has been so helpful before. See what you think of areas to check, then give me your thoughts to the culprit.

Internally great full

Bob Lohr

BobL

Established Member
After 10 minutes of driving and I stop the car, it will not fire back up. It turns over fine, but seems to get no gas. All I can offer is this, with hood open engine is throwing off more heat that normal, allot more and radiator is untouchable, due to the heat.

After the car sits awhile and cools down, it will fire right up, so my thoughts on things to check are;

Radiator coolant and water, but know it was fine 10 days earlier.

‘I should check the fan to be sure it’s turning and doing it’s job.

‘Even the two distributor caps seam very hot.

‘I should check the water pump to be sure water is circulating as well
as the thermostat

It does not make sense for it to not restart, water should have nothing to do with it, correct? I am thinking along those lines as the heat produced.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as always. Just had the interior redone.

What am I missing…..

Bob L

WillyB93

Established Member
Sounds more electrical, the older mustangs have an ignition control module that would cause some of the same issue. Looks like the sn95 went to ccrm module, might watch some videos about it to help diagnose the issue further.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
First check for me would be CCRM. It definitely sounds electrical (as mentioned above). Something is getting hot and malfunctioning it sounds like. (CCRM, sensor, etc)
I can tell you already it has zero to do with your radiator, or fan, or your thermostat etc.

BobL

Established Member
Thank you. Saved me allot of time and will concentrate on the CCRM, FIRST I will need to look up what that is….lol. Thanks again for the help.

Bob

Users who are viewing this thread