Help! 03 Cobra or 07 s281sc??

Rice Killa

Established Member
Well I was suppose to be picking up a Black 03 10th with a couple mods and 68k on it, but ran across a killer deal on a TR s281sc with 50k miles. The cobra has had 3 owners and the current owner really can't tell me a lot about it other than the offroad xpipe and magnaflow catback. It also has a pullie but do not know what size. Cars really hasn't been driven in the last 3 years and has a ABS light on, but I have a module already. The s281 is a 1 owner, and has all the records. Was owned by a older retired army guy, who I've spoken to on numerous occasions. The only mods are CAI and tune from JDM. I called saleen to verify authenticy. The cobra will need to be buffed, rims and tires, and abs module installed from what I can tell right off. I like both cars a lot and ways wanted a cobra, but hard to pass up a real s281sc for the price of a GT. I'm paying cash so I don't wanna blow my hard earned money and be dissatisfied. All opionions and comments appreciated.

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
What are your goals? You want to mod the car and go really fast. Or you want more of show car mustang with some get up? 9 out of 10 times people are going to look at the saleen because its flashier. So what it comes down to is if your wanting more speed then looks because both are supercharged. Cobra has a tad more potential in speed department reliably wise.

JS01SNAKE

Established Member
Tough choice. I would pick the cobra. black 10th anni and it seems like it does not need to much work. coupe or vert?

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Cobra for $16k? better jump on that thing easy 20's over here in TX with those miles.

usmc320

Established Member
I would get the Saleen unless you're planning on going for all out power.

'03snkbt

Call it like I see it....
Established Member
Never liked the body lines of the 07 saleen. I'm partial to the cobra. My .02

JS01SNAKE

Established Member
16k for the cobra? 10 anniversary.. hell of a deal. i bought mine for 19k with 59,000 miles on it. I would jump on that deal while you can.

Rice Killa

Established Member
This is a lot tougher than I thought... I keep going back and forth. I love the looks and comfort of the s281sc, but love the ease of power from the cobra. But in the end I'd be completely happy with 500whp

Honaker10

OLD MAN STATUS
Established Member
If the cobra has a "couple" of performance mods its probably already making around 420-460 to wheels depending on whether it's pullied or not. But 22k for a s281 that will only hold around 460rwhp (depending on whether its an extreme) compared to a cobra that will hold 600rwp+ safely with a good tune if wanted for 8k less? That's the deal breaker for me but if your looking for style I personally like the newer body styles. But all I can do is give my opinion sir. Good luck with your buy! Either way is a good buy imo

Last edited:

ModMike1572

Established Member
I'd go with the black 03. I know you said you're not looking for big HP numbers, but atleast you have the option down the road if/when you decide...

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
What year is the Saleen.... vert or coupe? I'm personally not a fan of the 05+ Saleens, but JDM does make some very nice packages to go along with the factory Saleen blower that is actually pretty good on the 3V's. If it's a 2V, then I like the looks of those; but you'd have a harder time getting big power.

I'd rather have the 4V motor, forged internals, and 6-speed tranny myself.... especially at that price. BUT its up to you if you prefer style or speed. If the Saleen is an 05+, definitely drive both and compare the chassis. Some people just prefer the S197 or SN95 chassis, simple as that.

Users who are viewing this thread