HELP !!! 2000 GT to Built 4V Swap !!!!

rfreeman37

Established Member
First if the timing is off you gonna have to fix that. That's removing valve covers front timing cover crank balancer all that will come off. Second get that bad boy on TDC. Now you mentioned not having the tools. If you can afford them buy them I don't think anyone rents them. If you absolutely can't find buy rent the tools it can be done WITHOUT THEM!!! I recommend using them, but I was like you I didn't have the tools nor knew anyone with them. Assuming all the chains are removed and if you elect to do so you with need to find TDC do your best to keep that crank still period. TDC is super important. Remove the journals and make sure to keep them exactly how they come off. Remove the rockers. Take the cams an point both of them straight down to the deck of the head. Example if the head deck is the ground you want the cam key way to point exactly perpendicular to the ground straight down in the 6 O'clock position. Once that happens bolt the journals back on and torque then to spec. This should lock the cams in place. Then assemble the sprockets and chains per ford spec. Now when all the chains sprockets are installed correctly go back and install the rockers under the cam lobes that allow the space. You can use a big flat head screwdriver to pop them back into place. Actually a YouTube video of it to show you how to. Then rotate the motor and continue to install the rockers until they are all installed. You will need to hand turn the motor over several times to get them under the cam lobe at certain positions. AGAIN IF YOU CAN GET TOOLS GET THEM AND DO IT RIGHT but if you can't it can be done. You can also google search it and find step by step directions of this from ford. If you can't find it PM me and I will help you find it or send you what I have.

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
did you try what was suggested? and check timing? how did you check you were getting spark? are you using the right plugs, gapped correctly?

RICH123Nick

Banned
Timing is SEt !!! But i have 80lbs injectors ... will my car start with no tune ... and run really rich like crap .... or will it not start at all ... do i have to tune it first before i fire it up ?

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
80lbs injectors on a n/a motor
iyg4k5.jpg

is your tune set up for those injectors or stock size? i don't understand why you don't have any compression

blacksheep-1

Established Member
80lbs injectors on a n/a motor
iyg4k5.jpg

is your tune set up for those injectors or stock size? i don't understand why you don't have any compression

Not having any compression is a mechanical issue, either the valves aren't opening, there's no pistons in it or something like that. Being insanely out of time would effect that somewhat, so would the TB valve being closed a few other things, but basically, it's something mechanical, including a bad compression gauge.

RICH123Nick

Banned
ttt .. 3 years and i regret this stupid FORD ... i miss my c5 vette ... 4.6 4v worst motor to build and work on ... cost a hell of alot of money not worth it at all ... should have built my 4.6 2v ...

Well heres the problem guys the motor is FU*KED ... rust ... RUST .. rust ... RUST ... thats why it wont crank over fast enough .. and the piston rings wont seat right either

Oiljunkie

Adrenaline junkie
Established Member
did you buy this motor used or get it built? i don't understand why there is rust in it.

I might have missed it but tell us the whole history of this build or point me to the post where you tell us EVERYTHING about your car and motor.

Ill pass judgement for now on your above post

02grasssnake

Established Member
I built the motor myself ... but i left it out side and didnt seal it up right .

damn!!!! that sux 4.6 4v is a damn good motor. if you don't study it then you will never get.
leaving any engine outside will do that. I the only thing that hard on a 4v is the exhaust, when it is in the car . everything else is pretty straight forward. good luck with it

Users who are viewing this thread