help!!!! 96 cobra wont idle!

96snake719

Established Member
Yea my tuner thought it was in the tune also... so he tried messing around with it but it didnt do anything, thats when he found out the IAC was trying to compensate for a leak, so he told me it had to be somthing after the throttle body.

Prostyle

Established Member
th_2011-06-23_02-35-59_957.jpg

There is the video guys. sorry for the crappy video but u can hear it and get the point.

Any ideas?

Prostyle

Established Member
My tuner is 5 hours away. What would you guys recomend to datalog with?

Yea the car idles like crap. Use to idle fine then only when it was hot, now all the time.

Myzticsnake

Savage
Established Member
you really sure you dont have a vac leak? A Vac leak would go away under load or under boost........

you ever put a vacuum gauge on it to see what pressure you are seeing at idle???

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
My tuner is 5 hours away. What would you guys recomend to datalog with?

How is your tuner tuning your car without datalogs?

If you are flashing your tunes with an SCT Xcal2 or X3, then you can download LiveLink software from SCT's web site and do you own datalogging. If you don't have an SCT handheld, but know a friend who does, you can datalog with his handheld.

Prostyle

Established Member
In the video u can see the vacuum. Its kind of hard to but if u rev the car up and let the rpms drop its pulling 20 till about 2krpm then it drops down to about 15 then keeps dropping with the rpm and the car dies. Im not saying I don't have a vacuum leak, but I replaced all hoses with new. New iac motor. New upper intake gasket with rtv on it

Mwolson- I took the car to him for a dyno tune about a month ago. Im using a sct 3 chip

a friend has a handheld, he is going to let me borrow it tonight. Ill datalog the idle tonight and post it up in the morning.

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
You'll have to check, but I am pretty sure your chip will interfere with datalogging. You will need a special OBD2 extension cable to datalog with the handheld, unless SCT has changed things in the last few years. That special cable blocks the signal that conflicts with the chip. I know that was the case with the Xcal2, but I am not sure about the X3. You may have to call SCT if you can't get datalogging to work with your chip. The link for that cable that I found in SCT's PRP forum is no longer any good. I've searched the SCT web site for the cable and can't find it, so maybe it isn't needed any more.

When (if) you datalog, log the RPM, TP relative, Battery voltage, MAF AD counts, Load, STFTs, LTFTs, Spark Source, Spark Advance, ISC Integrator and ISC Duty Cycle. I think I've remembered everything you need to log.

Prostyle

Established Member
Datalogged the car and found nothing really. Going to do more of it tonight.

What about a stuck exhaust valve or something in that nature? Would u be able to hear it or know if its stuck?

Users who are viewing this thread