Help a newbie... bolt-ons ruined my car!!

Bl00dtrail

Established Member
Recently purchased a 98 Cobra... trying to get a little more speed out of it so I bought some bolt-on stuff I thought I could handle... I purchased and installed:
Accufab throttle body (ellipse)
Jlt next gen CAI
SCT BDX tuner... installed "canned" 93 octane tune...

Took my car for a test drive and once I got into higher rpms and into 2nd gear it was missing so bad I turned around and limped home. I took the tuner and returned the car back to stock and it's even worse... barely runs at all.

It seems VERY lean..... but I'm not an expert at all. I dont know cars all that well.

Any suggestions on what to do or who to contact to get these parts all working together? Thanks!

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Obvious question, did you have a full tank of fresh 93?

When you put the stock tune back in, did you put the stock throttle body and air cleaner back on?

Bl00dtrail

Established Member
Obvious question, did you have a full tank of fresh 93?

When you put the stock tune back in, did you put the stock throttle body and air cleaner back on?

Yes sir. I had a fresh and full tank of 93.

I have not returned the factory throttle body or the factory air cleaner back on yet..
Should i?

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Yes sir. I had a fresh and full tank of 93.

I have not returned the factory throttle body or the factory air cleaner back on yet..
Should i?

The factory tune will not run right with the aftermarket throttle body and CAI. If it runs right after the stock parts are back on, you probably didn't hurt anything.

Verify what parts, if any, that canned 93 tune was designed to be used with.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
This is the issue with a canned tune. I don't have an issue with a canned, email tune as long as it is used as a starting point. From there you need to datalog and have the tune revised.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Bl00dtrail

Established Member
I'm not really blaming the tuner... it actually ran better with the canned tune. But still not good.

Is there anyone I can call and walk through all I've done to the car and then have them email me some parameters I can set on my own with the programmer?

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
I wouldn't be surprised if the tune is for factory car...and leans it up a bit to start with, add in the fact your tossing in more air now,,,really lean...

That's what we found on a 04 gt i had, I had a upper plenum as well and bigger injectors though.

Tuner was surprised i didn't cook it. When we pulled the tuner off it went way to the rich side. Was a good thing I put all the crap on in one shot, especially the injectors

Bl00dtrail

Established Member
I wouldn't be surprised if the tune is for factory car...and leans it up a bit to start with, add in the fact your tossing in more air now,,,really lean...

That's what we found on a 04 gt i had, I had a upper plenum as well and bigger injectors though.

Tuner was surprised i didn't cook it. When we pulled the tuner off it went way to the rich side. Was a good thing I put all the crap on in one shot, especially the injectors
I bet you're absolutely right..! So what's the solution to make all these parts happy and work in harmony? Or should I put it back to stock parts and take it to a professional? If so, who!?

Bl00dtrail

Established Member
Okay thanks..!

LMR said to check voltage on the throttle body tps...?? The paper that came with the accufab tbh said not to mess with it

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
I bet you're absolutely right..! So what's the solution to make all these parts happy and work in harmony? Or should I put it back to stock parts and take it to a professional? If so, who!?

As with what every one is leaning towards.
Return to stock. If the Problem goes away add the cai.
Still no problem stop there.

Do some research find a really good tuner in you area. My next move, if it’s not done already. Remove the “cats” cut em out or full exhaust and a complete tune.

The exhaust systems can cause all kinds of issues as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread