help abused black 04...I know nothing about detailing!

rich9521

Established Member
I have a black 04 that was someone's daily driver. It has swirls, water spots, minor scratches, the works. I have read bits and pieces to threads and cannot put together a complete laundry list of what products and tools I need to buyand what order the steps are etc. I see Scott is highly regarded as the resident expert and hope he will chime in, but really there needs to be a sticky on products and steps! Please try and avoid acronyms as I do not know what all of them stand for. I see people talking about a PC and a counter weight and different backing pads with orange and white pads, polishes, glazes clay bars and wax, quick detailers...My head starts to spin! I just hope to get a complete start to finish system that I can do on one part at a time and then move on to the next...time is irrelevant! This car will not be a daily driver for me but more of a weekend toy. I just want to get it looking the best I can and get the rest of the major blems touched up before I move on to lowering, wheels and hp mods! Thanks for the help in advance!

vulk

Established Member
Im no expert but some of here are some of the terms:

PC = Porter Cable: It is a random orbit polisher that wont mar your paint or leave swirls

As for the pads you can go here http://www.specialtymotoring.com/laco6cuedvac.html and check out the descriptions.

First step would be to clay your car and get out anything that is not paint from your paint.

Next would be a Polish. Depending on how heavy the swirls, you may need to step up the polish. Thats where some pics might help to determine which you need.

Next step is to Glaze. This deepens the shine and fills in minor swirls you may have missed.

Finish it off with a wax or a sealant (or both if you have the time or energy) to help protect against future swirls/imperfections.

I hope this helps. I think i listed everything in the right order, but then again I would make sure to get in touch w Scott. He is very knowledgeable guy.

4fit?

Established Member
Check out some of Mixxer's threads in this board. He seems to be the resident master at black car detailing and he typically lists all of his products and the order in which they were used.

Users who are viewing this thread