HELP! anyone running a catted H pipe?

cdsvenom

Established Member
I just put on a Bassani offroad X. I have a Borla catback, and I'm hating the sound. It's pretty quiet at idle, but is ridiculously loud when accelerating for a daily driver. :cuss: IMO the car's not fast enough yet to sound like that.

I seem to have lost some low end torque, and gained some high end smoothness and range.

I'd like to maintain the performance gains, but get something a bit less loud and high pitched.

Does MAC make a catted H? Would getting the catted Bassani X make a big difference in sound? I'd hate to put the stock H back on, but I think I may if there isn't a better option.

Any advice or experience is GREATLY appreciated.

Brett

BTW my other mods are:

Amazon CAI, CHIP, 2.8 upper, Borla catback, BF Idler

kpinco

Established Member
Brett,
I put the Bassani Hi-flow cat X pipe on a couple of weeks ago. The kit came with off-road pipes that can be put in place of the cats. I like the sound from the hi-flow cats and performance. With less than an hours work I can make it a straight off-road X pipe. I live in CO so I need to keep cats on.
Bottom line- I really like the sound and performance from the Bassani setup.

Rwick7

Established Member
A catted pipe will probably quiet it down a alot. I would try that. I'm not sure if anyone makes a catted H yet for our cars???

NeedForSpeed

Established Member
I have a catted H-pipe, with kooks JDM longtubes and a magnaflow cat-back.

I wasn't to happy with it at first, but now it sounds kick-ass. It's quiet at idle, and in a high gear\low rpm rolling situation. So I can pass cops in a quiet manner as to not cause a look or stir up attention.

But under load damn this system screams it's a** off! Going under bridges at wot sounds like an open header drag car. The system has totally changed sounds compared to when it was new and now I have 400-500 miles on it. It's loud when you want it to be, and quiet when you controll it :)

I love the sound and have gotten nothing but good remarks on it.
Everyone asked me whats done to the car cause it doesn't sound like a mustang............. :) I love that.

I had a couple problems with scraping the ground, but since then I've been fine, no problems, and would recommend this sytem to anyone that wants great sound & performance. The power was very noticable.

davidmax

Established Member
I have JDM/Kooks,catted H-Pipe no pre cats with long tubes.Mine too went through a Borla 2.5"(changed).I went 3" straight back and used Walker Turbo mufflers.The 3" opening reduced back pressure while the car still sounds pro stock like.Went from 550 rrwhp to 618 with custom through the fender 4" cold exhaust and 3" over 2.5" as well as Turbo mufflers.
This system was designed by Sean Hyland and may soon be sold????.Good Luck,Dave S.
PS current power level 588.8 rrwhp going in reverse not for long,Dave

NeedForSpeed

Established Member
I had an X set-up on my 95GT, FMS shorties, with a bassani catted X-pipe and 2 chamber flowmasters, all 2.5" with 3-1\2 tipes. I thought it sounded great.

The only reason I went with the H-pipe is cause I used JDM's set-up and they don't have a catted X.

I think they basically flow the same, H or X........

I'm happy with my H-pipe :)

Looking from under the car, I think with the long tubes, the H-pipe is more of a direct flow to the muffler rather then having to bend into the x, then back out. And the H-pipe JDM used is pretty solid, I like the whole set-up.

brad65ford

Ford Powered
Established Member
Still no catted h pipe yet....

I just called my guys who is a vendor for Mac. He states that they are in the works a month or two. I don't know how Mac is with what they state, if its anything as their quality it might be some time or not at all. Sh*t did they ever come out with their EFI 5.0 intake? I called a couple places today and no one has one and are making them yet. :mj: :gt: :cuss: I'll make my own or have someone make one for me soon if I can't get one. My luck they come out with only the 2 1/2" kits.:cryying:

Rwick7

Established Member
I tried to put a 2003 Cobra MAC pro-chamber on my car and could not get it to fit. Now I have a Magnaflow X and it sounds pretty good with the Mac catback :beer:

six speed

Established Member
I have the manaflow no cats and it is loud for the street for the track people think I am running staight pipe to me the best sound on the street is manaflow highflow cats, and mufflers. I need to buy there high flow cat too.

Users who are viewing this thread