Help! Bellowing smoke

cyclegrip

Established Member
Hey guys need some info
First start up was tonight after switching to turbo
It used to be a Whipple car with deka 60# injectors and a ba3000 maf
It's now a single turbo car with deatshwerks 88# injectors
Upon start up its just bellowing white smoke and smells like fuel
Do I need some sort of tune right away? How do I get a tune to just be able to idle and get to temp to check and make sure everything is alright before spending money for a dyno tune
Thanks

MTBSully

Established Member
Yes you need a startup tune. You switched injectors and the PCM still thinks you have 60lb injectors when it really has 88s. Contact your tuner and have them send you a startup tune to get you going.

spray'n mach 1

Established Member
agree with above you need a start up tune. call your tuner tell them what you have and they can email a tune. my tuner got mine pretty close on the email tune. it idled and drove fine, I never went into boost. good luck

cyclegrip

Established Member
I don't technically have a tuner yet, is there anywhere I can get a base tune? Possible for someone to send me theirs that they used? Lol

joshcarp81

Established Member
Well sounds like you have some money invested. I think finding a reputable tuner should be next on your checklist. I wouldn't do anything else with the car til you get that startup tune.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
We answered this question for you last night on facebook. You need a tune. End of story. Getting a FREE tune from one of the users on here is going to be next to impossible. You would need to find someone that is running the same injectors, the same MAF in the same size housing, same intake, same engine combo, same processor code. You have a better chance at winning the lottery. Sorry to be so harsh but there is no way around it.

You invested money into this setup. You are going to need to invest money into getting a startup tune. Be it paying a tuner to get you a startup base file so you can drive it to the tuner of your choice, they can email it to you. Or paying the tuner of your choice to send you a base startup file.

Until that time. Do not try to keep running the engine. Running it that rich will hurt your engine. You are putting fuel into your oil, lots of it. You will hurt things. I would suggest waiting until you get the correct startup tune. Change the oil. Then start it up or you are going to start the slow process of engine damage if you keep doing what you are doing now that you have contaminated your oil with all that fuel.

Unplugging MAFs etc is not going to help like you were mentioning on Facebook last night. The single, only thing that will fix your issue is a TUNE.

I responded to your FB posts last night. Please take this advice before you hurt the engine which we do not want to see happen.

Dave A.

cyclegrip

Established Member
I am going to call a tuner Monday I had a couple in mind, I figured I had fuel in the oil considering how much I could smell. I appreciate the info believe me and I'm not going to try and continue running it

cyclegrip

Established Member
Good news, he was open today he's gonna work on a tune and get it to me Monday, since I scheduled a dyno tune with him for the end of the month he's not gonna worry about $

MTBSully

Established Member
Good news, he was open today he's gonna work on a tune and get it to me Monday, since I scheduled a dyno tune with him for the end of the month he's not gonna worry about $

Thats how it usually works. My tuner did the same. Send you a startup tune so you can get it to them for a full tune.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Do not run until you get the tune. You do not want to run while washing the cylinders down with all that extra fuel.

cyclegrip

Established Member
So got a base tune from my tuner, still smokes, checked my plugs they are black and wreak of fuel, should I change them out? Fouled out from the last time? Possible reason for it to be smoking? It's not as bad as before but it's still pretty bad

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
So got a base tune from my tuner, still smokes, checked my plugs they are black and wreak of fuel, should I change them out? Fouled out from the last time? Possible reason for it to be smoking? It's not as bad as before but it's still pretty bad
I would just spray some carb clean or something on them and let them dry out, if there is a ton of left over fuel it will take a bit for the smoke to clear out. Make sure you told your tuner the correct information about the MAF such as Mafia and the exact model.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Last time I had this issue I tuned it for a BA 5000 slot maf and then found out I had a GT-500 slot style MAF (previous owner said otherwise but it was hidden in the fender). It caused the same issue, it sounds like either the injector scaling is off or the MAF transfer curve is off.

MTBSully

Established Member
Had a similar problem with mine. MAF power wire was loose and was not getting signal. Things I would do first:

-Check for VAC leaks
-Check MAF for cleanliness/loose wires

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Had a similar problem with mine. MAF power wire was loose and was not getting signal. Things I would do first:

-Check for VAC leaks
-Check MAF for cleanliness/loose wires
You can data log MAF counts/voltage to see if it's getting signal. If it's not then it would got failed MAF table and that would cause your issue as well.

cyclegrip

Established Member
It seems as though my pcm to maf sensor pin has disappeared, wow
I'm gonna assume this is why it's running shitty
Anyway to fix this other than a new sensor?
2839F13E-6733-41F4-BE39-5047C383A3F5.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread