Help! Big problems need troubleshooter ...

cobra101

Established Member
Hi. So here it goes. Any help is appreciated.

for the last month or so my engine seems to lose power interminently. all of a sudden it will not go anywhere. it can maintain its own speed but no acceleration. It is like it is missing or something...but then like 10 seconds later it is fine.

it almost feels like when you start the car and imediatly give it gas and the engine won't go because it just started up. but this happens during driving at speed.

any help is appreciated. I thought it may be air cleaner or plugs but I was told it would be constant not interminent if it ws those.

maybe computer? I am going to unplug battery today and see if that helps...

thanks for any advice..

03yellow

Established Member
Try these in order:

1) Check your voltage. Should be 13 to 14 volts....stable(Alternator)
2) Unplug your FRPS and see if it runs ok. The Rpms will rise and fall when you let out of it, but should run fine when giving it gas.
3) pull your plugs/ check and replace.
4) replace fuel filter

Last edited:

03yellow

Established Member
1)First check for vacum leaks
2)Make sure your MAF wire is clicked on good ...check all connections
3)Check your throttle body and throttle cable ....see if you butterfly is opening all the way and your cable is working correctly on the throttle body.

03yellow said:
Try these in order:

1) Check your voltage. Should be 13 to 14 volts....stable(Alternator)
2) Unplug your FRPS and see if it runs ok. The Rpms will rise and fall when you let out of it, but should run fine when giving it gas.
3) pull your plugs/ check and replace.
4) replace fuel filter

cobra101

Established Member
awesome stuff guys.. I will go down the suggestion list tonight and do all I can. The alternator was replaced by ford less than 6 months ago. (it did not give me any warning when it failed and lef tme stranded.)

thanks again.. Illl post tomorrow and let you guys know.

Ps. No raptor shift light.

Last edited:

cobra101

Established Member
hmm.. wondering if i had autolite 102's or 103's

I think I went with 102's gapped at like .034 or .036

hmmm.. 102's would be a cooler plug right?

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
Have you washed your engine recently?Water may be in the spark plug bores where the coils are at. May be losing spark since it would be grounding out.

cobra101

Established Member
No engine wash recently.

I checked the throttle body.. the flaps open and close alright BUT there is like a backlash when it closes. is this normal? it like closes and then I feel and hear another closing type sound. Not sure if this is normal but it does open and close ok, no sticking.

The best way to describe he symptom is like when you start your car and get on it right away. The car hesitates and sputters. But this happens 2 mins after I start up sometimes and sometimes while I \have been driving.

I am going to change the plugs and fuel filter asap and then probably bring it into ford if it still persists.

thanks again.. Ill keep you posted....

Ps. Runs beutifully otherwise (95%) of time.

Users who are viewing this thread