HELP!! Broke the worst nut possible

PIKE5.0

Established Member
UPDATED** HELP!! Broke the worst nut possible

Finally got around to install/tune the stuff in sig. All went well until I went to remove the stock cats. The Passenger side nut that has to be reach from the engine bay, ya it was seized.. And I stripped it down pretty good. Still hasn't budged.

With such limited access to that, I'm not sure what to do. Here's the options I see as of now - please chime in for better ones

1. JB Weld the quick steel one - Carefully put inside socket and hope to get it on the nut without getting the JB on the bolt or anything other than the nut

2. ? this is where someone needs to have a better option

3. Remove everything to get the passenger manifold off or at least loose to get it out (if possible, not sure it will come out attached to the cat). Praying that would be enough access to figure something out.

So looking for a miracle idea that has worked for someone. I just didn't think it would be stuck like that, rookie move on my part. After the first strip i did get some PB Blaster, nut was too far gone to know if it helped.

******UPDATE******

Used every extension, universal joint possible with no luck. Hammered on sockets, nothing. Bought the craftsman bolt out kit, needed to be deeper sockets - didn't work. I eventually chewed the nut down so far it was over. I just wouldn't give up haha.

Had to remove the passenger side header, which is SUCH A B$T$H.. Welded a nut on, off it came. Doing this in the garage with temps in 10's all weekend sure was awesome. Anyway, all parts installed with AED tune.. O/R X with Outlaws AB is race car loud (will get diff muffs soon).

Extreme care should be taken with that bolt, bc OMG that was too much effort for reward! And F ford for putting those in facing up. The damn Shelbys look identical right there and those bolts face south, super easy to remove.

Was too annoyed throughout the process to take pics of the carnage. But I can sure tell you how to take half the engine bay apart AND I can graphically explain all the ridiculous positioning it took to remove all the impossibly located header/motor mount/starter bolts. Needless to say the car and I are much closer now.

Last edited:

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
Same shit happened on my car. I torched the headers off and threw them in the garbage I was so pissed.

And FYI, you didn't break one of the nuts in your pants, so it could be worse ;)

hitmix300

Established Member
I feel your pain man both of my catalytic converter bolts on the passenger side were cross threaded from the factory. I had two friends with a breaker bar and a bunch of extensions. They busted it free from the top. I was watching and supervising down below with a beer hehe. We ended up getting it out. We didn't use any penetrating fluid though, that seems to do more harm than good. That's a tight area to work in. I hope someone has some suggestions. Maybe you can get a torch in there?

PIKE5.0

Established Member
Ok good to know I'm not alone.. Its sitting in my garage currently not able to run bc I'm mid mods install and the tune is for everything. And its snowing, soooo not really going to get it to a shop for torch and such. That's why I'm hoping I can JB weld that bitch on there bc I've got plenty of force to apply to that wrench lol.. just need it to stay put.

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
Maybe use a bolt out?

craftsman-bolt-out-set.jpg

OneSlowV

Established Member
I broke mine off i forgot to use DW40 on that nut lol. But the rest came off smooth with it.

OneSlowV

Established Member
I had to really put some weight into it to break mine. But once you get your cats off you will love the extra power up top.

PIKE5.0

Established Member
I had to really put some weight into it to break mine. But once you get your cats off you will love the extra power up top.

I had them off when the car was new.. They came right off, but now their fuxed.

The issue is I can't get the damn socket to stay flush on the nut. That's how I stripped it. I bought all the right extensions and universal joint, but nooooo she's being a bitch

JasinEdward

Established Member
I had the same thing happen to me.... I was gonna buy a bolt-out kit, but the local Meineke tossed the deletes on for $30.... I just tightened the cats back up a little for the 1 mile drive.

I know how you feel though, it sucks. I threw a tantrum over that bolt. Good luck!

PIKE5.0

Established Member
So whats the thought on trying to JB Weld a socket onto it? Other than removed the manifold thats my only option in my garage

ttk53

Established Member
Put heat to it till red hot use easyout socket done.

This cant be that hard these cars arnt that old If I can get old rusty bolts out of my 98 wrangle you can get one bolt out of a 2 yr old car.

Users who are viewing this thread