Help:car stalling like crazy!!!

ducci610

Established Member
Guys,
This is serious. My 98' snake has the following mods:Bassani o/r X-pipe, bassani cat back and BBK cold air. Despit numerous Mil Eliminators my check engine lite will not stay off. Now my car is stalling out virtually every time i come to a stop. It idles like s--t. I am contiplating just putting the stock H-pipe back on. Does anyone think that this will solve the problem? I hate to do it but im desperate. This has been a problem ever since the mods were done four months ago. Is it possible it could be the cold air kit? Please help me before i resort to drastic measures! Thanks.

SNK BITN

Established Member
I'm thinking that somewhere around your BBK cold air is responsible for your idle issues. Have you looked in the MAF? Try cleaning it out with some electronics cleaner. I dont think exhaust would screw with your eradic idle. Make sure the CAI is completely sealed, no air leaks after the MAF. Clean your air filter. May as well start with the obvious. Check your plugs as well. A bad spark plug or loose spark plug wire would also affect your idle.

Cobro

Banned
It could also be your IAC is dirty and sticking. (Idle air control valve)

Common problem. The IAC is the silver tube on the left side of the plenum that has an air tube going to it.

Take the IAC off and clean it real good with carb spray! worth a try.

A sticking IAC valve, that wouldn't let air bypass the throttle body to idle.

Others things to check:

Spark Plugs
Spark Plug Wires
Coil Packs
Imrc Module
Fuel Filter
Fuel Pump
Fuel Injector
IAC-------My bet
O2 Sensor...pre cat
EGR
EVR
PCV---cheap to replace

Allso try resetting the computer or clearing codes, All you have to do is ((remove both battery cables from the battery posts)) and touch the – and + cables together for a couple of seconds. What this does is drains all of the capacitors in the computer instantly and "bam" your set to rehook the terminals back on the battery. Then idle the car for a minimum of 10 mins with all accesories off. This should re-set the idle learn procedure. Capacitors store electrical energy, and they can do so for a short length of time depending on their size.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread