Help completely replacing rear brake line

01SVTBill

Established Member
Hi Guys,

The last on my to-do list before winter has finally arrived. Looking at my rear driver's side brake line, right under the door, it is pretty badly rusted. There appears to be a cover that has split open and caused this to happen.

So, before it "breaks" (pun intended) I was wondering if anyone has ever replaced the entire brake line, and if so, what the part number for this would be? I'm guessing shipping will be a little expensive, but it beats bending one up or paying shop labor.

Thanks!

OldSVTGuy

Established Member
My guess is that you may have to fabricate it yourself by taking the old one off and bending a new one using the old one as a pattern using a brake line bender. You will need to double-flare it. Or, you could call Steve at Autonation Ford (vendor on this site) and have him check if that particular part is available. He has great prices.

Good luck!

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Just the hardline? Get a length of tubing and bend it yourself and rent a flaring kit if you don't have one. It's really easy to do.

01SVTBill

Established Member
Both great suggestions guys! I've never attempted a brake line before but there's a first for everything I suppose. I will take a look at it and see if its something I can bend up this weekend in the driveway. If not, I will try Autonation Ford and see what they have.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Line and the tools are super cheap. And check and see if there is a local place that can make them too. Shipping a hardline can be interesting.

01SVTBill

Established Member
Good idea, I think I'll definitely give it a shot. I've already got a tube bender, might as well get some line and a cutter and put it to use.

Any idea what size the line is offhand?

Users who are viewing this thread