Help, coolant / head gasket issue

Venomous04

Established Member
I’ll try to keep this brief:

Car was stored for a bit over a year and a half, was taken out twice and ran fine.

After taking the car permanently out of storage it ran great.
Car began to run rough with hesitation and rough idle. Parked the car and figured I’d deal with it later.

Later that day tried to start the car, it took a bit to crank over and there was lots of white smoke coming out the tailpipe. Moved the car to the street (moving truck had arrived)

Go to move the Cobra into the garage and it wouldn’t start or even try and turn over. Figuring maybe it was bad gas / blew the FRPS / the battery was toast (the Optima Red Tops are notorious for dying after being stored) I pushed to main laneway and decided to deal with it later.

Over the course of a month or so I tested the battery and alternator and replaced the FRPS but still nothing. I checked hoses/vacuum lines (as best I could) and couldn’t find anything.

I did however spot that the S/C coolant was empty :nonono:. This was surprising to say the least, but I figured I just had a leak. So I grabbed some distilled water, filled it up, jumped the pump to keep it running and continued to fill it while checking for leaks, which there were none.

Given my limited diagnostic/automotive knowledge I threw in the towel and had it towed to the dealership. :(

They called me today saying that when they pulled the plugs and cranked the engine over it shot out coolant and that the oil is milky (it’s my lucky day).

They go on to say that changing the head gasket and checking rods/bearings will cost me around 4000$ since they need to remove the engine etc. :)cuss:)

What could cause the s/c coolant to go dry like that? Could that be what’s mixed in the oil / heads ? :??:

Mods are
  • Whipple 03-03 Cobra kit w/ 3.0 pulley
  • 60# injectors
  • NGK spark plugs
  • Billet Flow 4 Pc idler pulley set
  • Diablosport MAF
  • Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump
  • K&N FIPK
  • LFP Heat Exchanger
  • LDC Cooling Mod
Full list here: 2004 SVT Cobra (scroll down)

cheers,

Marc.

Last edited:

Venomous04

Established Member
It was stored in an indoor facility during the (Canadian) winter. When I took it out it ran just fine. Could still be the issue as some nights it was 0c or 32f while the car was outside.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
That's what it sounds like to me as well. The IC starting leaking and pumped coolant into the intake and then the combustion chambers. Would also explain the coolant in the engine oil.

I would replace the intercooler (or whatever was leaking) and change the oil and hope for the best. You might be lucky.

Venomous04

Established Member
So the IC was indeed cracked. Replacement is on order. Drained oil and put in fresh oil, new oil filter, dropped a bit of oil down into each cylinder and the engine cranks over. So the engine isn't seized/hydro locked.

I cranked the car over a few times. I'll replace the oil and filter again, install the IC/SC and hook everything back up. If it starts I'll let it get to operating temp and do a final oil change and give the car hell to see how it holds up :)

Question: Is it worth doing a compression test to see if rings/seals got damaged by having the water pushed down the cylinder?

Marc.

Users who are viewing this thread