Help. Did a pull just now and car down on power

evanjp

Established Member
Hey guys. I just did a pull and the car all of a sudden feels very down on power and during engine braking, there's very loud popping almost like theres unburnt fuel. No idea what's up. It doesn't sound like anything broke in the motor it idles quietly. Any idea? Limp mode maybe??

jn2

Established Member
could be bad coils or plugs causing misfires under load. Which is why it would idle fine. Going to be hard to diagnose it with out driving it to get a feel for it, or a datalog.

evanjp

Established Member
Well I dug into it and turns out the front two manifold bolts were not right at all... This may have been the issue? But drove her around and is driving fine, no more weird popping on decel and has normal power.

One problem... One of the studs for the brake booster line/ plastic piece that holds down the foam came off of the boss manifold. Tried threading it in (booster tube doesn't fit very snug on them) and using a soft mallet to try to knock it in place (didn't know the seat was that round metal piece) and it fell through. I don't have a stud on there and only one washer is holding that booster line. I went to wal mart to get some zip ties until I can remove it and figure out a fix.

I may just put the stock manifold on and send this one to get ported.

Last edited:

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
Could have been the issue since it was unmetered air. Surprise you didn't throw a left or right bank code. Also if it was the coils or plugs it would break up as you're going up the rpms. And usually throws a cyl # misfire.

evanjp

Established Member
I didn't check. I was going to check if it still ran/sounded funny after tightening those two bolts. Drove to and from work today and it's running strong. Gotta figure out how to fix that stud though.

Users who are viewing this thread