Help! Does anyone know...

ArtMan

Established Member
if a 94-00 GT fog light switch can be used to run the fans on an after market heat exchanger?

Can the switch handle the current draw from the fans? (about 10-12 amps)

will I need to acquire the factory pig tail (not available through Ford) to plug the switch into and wire it from that? Or can I somehow attach the wires directly to the switch?

What terminals on the back of the switch do what? Such as, main power in/out, light the icon on the switch, light the on indicator light on the switch.

I plan to use 3 of them in a custom made switch panel. One for HE fans, one for IC pump, one for Radiator cooling fans.

I know how to wire everything else (PCM, Fans, etc.) except the switches, as I don’t have the switches yet. I am trying not to waste $80.00 on the switches if it can't be done.

Or should I just give it up and use some uglyassed aftermarket switches? :cryying:

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mongoose 03

The Godfather
Established Member
mike, if ya need a hand with hookin up a relay ...........i'm your man :beer:

ArtMan

Established Member
Jason, good info. So, If I understand you correctly, the use of the relay with the appropriate switch circuit, should allow for safe use of the GT fog light switch to run the heat exchanger fans? Should be no problem, I bought a Gords Ford HE unit. It comes complete with the relay and 30 amp fuse. Gord also provides a 30 amp switch to be mounted in the interior. I basically want to swap the HE switch with the Fog light switch, but when I saw the 30 amp rating on the HE switch, I got a little scared. I don’t know what the fog light switch is rated for, but I’m pretty sure it’s not 30 amps. I expect to run the HE fans constantly on the street, but want to use them as needed at the track.

As for the Radiator fan and IC pump, the fog light switches should work fine. They go in line from the appropriate PCM circuits. All they do is get hooked up to ground. When the switch is flipped, the cooling fan and the IC pump run while the car is turned off. This will cool her down between runs at the track. When the car is on, the PCM controls the circuits as normal.

In part, my dilemma still remains. I am not familiar with the GT fog light switches and if I can wire them direct without the pig tails (no luck getting the pig tails through FoMoCo). Any Ideas where I can locate them? Not many late model GTs in the junk yards around here to scavenge from. I can order the switches but they are $ 25.00 ea, so I wanted to make sure they will work before parting with the cash.

Because of the cost, I also wanted to know what terminals on the back of the switch do what? Such as, main power in/out, light the icon on the switch, light the on indicator light on the switch. I am still hesitant that I might screw up one of the switches trying to figure out what is what. Think I’m ok to run 12 volts to the switch terminals and a meter to test what each separate terminal does? I want the icons to light when driving at night as well as the on indicators.

Again, thanks for your help.

Mongoose 03 said:
mike, if ya need a hand with hookin up a relay ...........i'm your man :beer:
Hey Frank, I’ll take you up on that. I’ll give you a call soon. Thanks! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread