Help: Dreaded Pulley/belt/tensioner noise..

cobra101

Established Member
Hi,

I searched allot on this and found some mixed results.

I don't drive the cobra much anymore (maybe 3-4 days a month), and it makes a tapping noise with rpm. It goes away when warm (most of the time at least).

I heard it on a video with other threads and I have heard these following possible fixes.

1. Change belt. Did that and it still does it.

2. Reverse belt, flip it around. Just saw this, Not sure this makes sense but may try it, but haven't yet. Why not, it's easy enough.

3. change the Pulley on the belt tensioner. Mine had a Very slight off feel to it, but not blown up or obvious noises. I changed it anyway with brand new part, still no fix. Other pulley seems fine.

4. I am ready to buy a new belt tensioner for like $55.00 or so, shipped. I heard the lightning one is the same and works. Part #1L3Z-6B209-BA Some say 60-70k miles is about the time.. I have 80k, hard miles..mostly city.

UPDATE: I noticed that when spraying anything on the belt makes it change pitch and sometimes go away. BUT, Spraying directly on the supercharger pulley bolt area makes the noise go away immediately. Hmmm.... I am pretty sure there are NO bearings in my 2.76 RR upper pulley. Ideas?

Am I on the right and most effective path? Any ideas or suggestions ? :)

Thanks for any info.

Ps. I will post the final result when fixed of course.

CobraKyle

Established Member
I have the same problem and found out when I apply pressure to the tensioner with my breaker bar no squeak. So I ordered a tensioner and a belt that is 1/2 inch smaller. I will let you know if it works.

klean4.6

Established Member
I'm fighting the same issue. The difference is that I replaced idlers with division x used from SVTP member. Ordered new tensioner from tousley for $52. Was gone for 10 minutes. Replaced belt and it went away, then returned the next day. Sounds like either the 90mm aux or billet flow upper. The alignment is a little off. Will let you know

BLUEPSTU

Veni Vidi Vici
Established Member
Any updates? I'm having the same issues. Have replaced belts numerous times and it seems to go away for 100 miles or so then comes back sounding like a bunch of crickets under my hood. It is especially bad at cruising speed like when you are going through a parking lot (10mph or so)

1Fast-Turbo-Cou

Established Member
I have the Thump RRR racing Billet tensioner and Billet double bearing pulleys with a Gates belt. My car makes zero belt/bearing noise. I also Hard Anodized my pulleys to help eliminate wear.

Users who are viewing this thread