Help from '93 Cobra owners needed!

ScrpnVNM

Established Member
I'm kind of new to the 5.0 mustang, having bought an '89 LX not too long ago. Anyway, I was wondering if a MAF sensor from a '93 Cobra would work with the 19lb injectors on a H.O. engine. I already have a 70mm t. body and Cobra intake, so I thought it could be a nice addition to that part of the engine. Would I need 24 pounders? Where would be a good place to get a set for not a lot of money? Would I need to replace my fuel pump? Thanks to all!!

SLOW95

SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!
Established Member
WELL NOT SURE HOW BIG THE 93'S ARE BUT YOU SHOULD HAVE BIG DEALS DOING THE SWAP AND YOU SHOULDNT NEED ANY FUEL UPGRADES FOR IT EITHER:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :beer: :beer: :beer:

ScrpnVNM

Established Member
the 93's have a 70mm MAF. That's why I thought it would round up the intake side, since I have a 70mm t body ;-) :rockon:
wait, so you're saying I should have "big deals" doing the swap? Meaning I'm going to run into trouble? Or "big deals" meaning power gains?

Last edited:

unibager

Established Member
No, the cobras' have 24lb injectors, so the mass air would not work with your 19lb injectors. Anyway, there are many manufacturers of mass air units that flow better than the cobra unit - buy one of them. I replaced mine with a C&L. Some say they have had issues, but most issues are caused by curvy CAI systems - I kept my stock filter box and put a K&N in it and it works good, I used to have a vortech unit also on another mustang and it worked well too. Good luck.

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
The 93 Cobra MAF will work fine on your 5.0 with 19lb injectors.

The 93 Cobra computer is calibrated for the 24lb injectors not the MAF like the aftermarket does to "trick" the computer.

I would buy a C&L 73mm or 76 mm MAF. They will both flow better than the 93 Cobra MAF. Plus with the Cobra MAF you are limited to 19lb inj. when using a reg. 5.0 computer. The C&L unit can grow with your car as you change combos. Cost is about the same for the MAF units.

stangsteve1993

Established Member
cobra186 said:
The 93 Cobra MAF will work fine on your 5.0 with 19lb injectors.

The 93 Cobra computer is calibrated for the 24lb injectors not the MAF like the aftermarket does to "trick" the computer.

I would buy a C&L 73mm or 76 mm MAF. They will both flow better than the 93 Cobra MAF. Plus with the Cobra MAF you are limited to 19lb inj. when using a reg. 5.0 computer. The C&L unit can grow with your car as you change combos. Cost is about the same for the MAF units.

This is the reason my cobra ran like open ass when I bought it. Someone put on a Pro-M meter calibrated for 24lb injectors, thinking thats the way its supposed to be. Lil did they know they shouldve bought a 19lb calibrated MAF.

Daryl is absolutely correct. My solution was to take out the lazy 93 cobra computer and install an A9L I had in the shop. Already sold that 93 computer on egay for over $100:thumbsup:

1BAD93SVT

Established Member
stangsteve1993 said:
This is the reason my cobra ran like open ass when I bought it. Someone put on a Pro-M meter calibrated for 24lb injectors, thinking thats the way its supposed to be. Lil did they know they shouldve bought a 19lb calibrated MAF.

Daryl is absolutely correct. My solution was to take out the lazy 93 cobra computer and install an A9L I had in the shop. Already sold that 93 computer on egay for over $100:thumbsup:

my 93 ran fine with a prom 24lb maf. maybe your's was calibrated for cold air kit instead of stock box. i have stock maf now

ScrpnVNM

Established Member
ok, so my computer says A9L... what does that mean? I'm pretty sure I still have the 19lb injectors, but is there a way to know by looking at them. I've read something about them being color coded. Mine look whitish-yellow. Then again, they might be just white and dirty lol. Thanks for the help dudes!!

Users who are viewing this thread