HELP! Fuel Pressure problem

jumpinjackflash

Established Member
I damaged something in the fuel system last night and was wondering if anyone else had a similar problem.

I accidently hit the rev limiter in 2nd at WOT (too busy looking in the mirror at the 3000GT VR4 I just dusted) and something happened.

Last night it would stumble above about 2.5 kRPM and now my SES light is on and the fuel pressure is all over the map. I've got a FP gauge that normally reads 30-35 psi at idle. Now, when it runs, it reads 20 psi. When it doesn't run, it jumps all over from 40 psi to 100 psi (pegged). Obviously it won't run because it's way too rich.

I have a KnN intake, L pulley, Magnaflow catted X and catback, and an Afterburner-eFPC.

I can not find any vacuum leaks and my boost/vacuum gauge still looks almost normal. It's actually reading slightly more vacuum than normal at idle.

I will go get the codes checked after work.

Anyone have any thoughts before I take it to the dealer and possibly trash my warranty?

Last edited:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Pulling the codes is a good idea.

You might try to by-pass the eFPC. Something could have happened to it? There should be a bypass plug included in the kit. Disconnect the wiring harness and install the plug and see what happens.
A while back, I had a bad ground on mine for a few minutes and that caused all kinds of problems with the A/F mixture. Fixed the ground and no more problem. Check your wiring connections.

I just have no luck with grounds :bash:

Dana

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Hi Jack,

Definitely bypass the eFPC and see if the fuel pressure stabilizes at idle. If not, your next best bet is to check the wiring and the vacuum source to the fuel pressure regulator.

Call me if I can be of any help. I'll PM you my number.

MJ

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Pull the codes.

When my fuel rail pressure sensor went out I got an SES light and the car surged, sputtered (like spark plug blow out), reeked of fuel and acted like it was flooded when I would try to start it etc. That little sensor had me very worried that I screwed something up bad.
I don't know what my fuel pressure did because I didn't have a gauge hooked up.

Good luck figuring it out. I hope it's something simple.

jumpinjackflash

Established Member
Thanks for the suggestions.

I did bypass the eFPC and it didn't change anything.

The code is P0190 - Fuel Pressure sensor. $55 from the dealer and a couple of days to get it in.

I'm going to surf my Ford Service DVD tonight to see if there are any other parts to troubleshoot and order the sensor in the morning.

Racerat, sounds like we had the same problem. Was yours replaced under warranty? I don't expect the dealer to fix mine under warranty and a $55 part isn't worth the hassle of demodding to take it in, IMO.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by jumpinjackflash
Racerat, sounds like we had the same problem. Was yours replaced under warranty? I don't expect the dealer to fix mine under warranty and a $55 part isn't worth the hassle of demodding to take it in, IMO.
Mine was "sort of" replaced under warranty. I called the parts department to see if they had one in stock...they did. I then called the service manager and told him mine went bad...and could give him the old one...could I send someone down to pick up a new one since the car wasn't drivable? It worked...the car never went near the dealer. ;-)
It's a 5 minute replacement. Just don't do what I did and get a mouth full of gas when you pop the old one off.

jumpinjackflash

Established Member
Originally posted by racerat
Mine was "sort of" replaced under warranty. I called the parts department to see if they had one in stock...they did. I then called the service manager and told him mine went bad...and could give him the old one...could I send someone down to pick up a new one since the car wasn't drivable? It worked...the car never went near the dealer. ;-)
It's a 5 minute replacement. Just don't do what I did and get a mouth full of gas when you pop the old one off.

Great idea! I'm doing some more troubleshooting right now but I might try that if it is bad.

I learned about the residual fuel pressure when I installed the sending unit for my gauge a couple of months ago, so I am ready this time! It took awhile for my garage to stop smelling like gas. :nono:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Any idea as to what the cause of the regulator's failure might be? If that is the problem.
Could it just possibly been a defective unit or is changing these going to become routine?

Keep us posted.

Thanks,
Dana

jumpinjackflash

Established Member
Still troubleshooting to eliminate possibilities. I've got it narrowed down and I'll know more in the morning. I left the battery disconnected in the garage tonight to see if the code will clear.

More info tomorrow morning.

jumpinjackflash

Established Member
I'm ordering a new fuel pressure sensor; no dealer around here has them in stock.

The car runs in what looks like a 'safe' mode when I unplug the sensor. The fuel pressure is lower than normal, but it runs without stumbling and without the clouds of black smoke I was getting yesterday.

I found a blown O-ring on the current sensor and replaced it. I still have the problem so it looks like the O-ring is another symptom, not the cause.

I changed the oil last night, I could smell gas in it. I'm sure a lot of extra fuel leaked down into the bottom end when the fuel pressure pegged my gauge at 100 psi!!

I'll post more when I get the new sensor installed. It will take a couple of days to get here.

jumpinjackflash

Established Member
New fuel pressure sensor installed today. PROLEM SOLVED!

mjchip, Thanks for your help. Afterburner's working just fine with the new sensor.

trey193

Established Member
HMM, I put a fuel pressure guage on mine and at idle is fluctuates between 25-30 psi, is this where it should be?? Car runs fine!

Rocket

Established Member
Originally posted by jumpinjackflash
New fuel pressure sensor installed today. PROLEM SOLVED!

mjchip, Thanks for your help. Afterburner's working just fine with the new sensor.
Hey late to the thread, but I've got a very similar problem.
Mine idles most of the time ok but stumbles around 1500-2000
sometimes it stalls. I replace my fuel filter, and ordered what I thought was the "fuel pressure sensor" wound up being a fuel pulse unit assembly, the passenger side silver disk $57.
O.K. the 03's don't have a fuel pressure regulator per say, so where's the fuel pressure sensor located, any pics for the slightly embarassed here :shrug:
My fuel pressure with a guage on the fuel rail is all over the place too. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

jumpinjackflash

Established Member
Originally posted by Rocket
Hey late to the thread, but I've got a very similar problem.
Mine idles most of the time ok but stumbles around 1500-2000
sometimes it stalls. I replace my fuel filter, and ordered what I thought was the "fuel pressure sensor" wound up being a fuel pulse unit assembly, the passenger side silver disk $57.
O.K. the 03's don't have a fuel pressure regulator per say, so where's the fuel pressure sensor located, any pics for the slightly embarassed here :shrug:
My fuel pressure with a guage on the fuel rail is all over the place too. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

The fuel pressure sensor is mounted on the end of the fuel rail on the driver's side towards the front of the car. It's held on by 2 allen screws and has a diamond shaped base. The part number is 3R3Z-9F972-AA and it costs about $55 from a dealer.

The fuel pressure should be about 30psi at idle and about 50psi at WOT without a chip or any other adjuster.

If your car still idles and runs without the SES light coming on, your sensor is probably fine.

What mods do you have, if any?

Snkbyte

I'm the cream of the crop
Established Member
Jaysvt had the same problem on saturday just before we went to the track. Replaced the sensor and problem solved:thumbsup:

Will

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Just thinking out loud...are we doing something to make these sensors go bad?
Are the cars affected similar in any way?
Mine is a QUD2...very early car with upper and lower pulley.

Users who are viewing this thread