Help Getting the lug nuts off

MongoCobra

Established Member
tried to get the wheels off this weekend and broke the Mcgard Key. Already have ordered another one but the nuts are on so tight I'm afraid of breaking it again. I guess the shop that swapped the snow tires for me last year must have used an impact wrench and/or they are rusted on. I tried spraying WD-40 to soak overnight but some of them are still stuck on too tight. even bent the lug nut wrench trying to get these off.

anyone have any suggestions, especially for the locks? I hate to bring it back for the impact-wrenching and have the key break again.

thanks

03Cobvertible

Established Member
There are special sockets that are made for this purpose. Not sure where to get them tho. May try e-bay.

Another method is to find a socket that is just a bit smaller than the OD of the lock nut, and bang it on there. I have done this a couple of times and it works great

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Go to the dealer, they have a set of master wheel lock keys. Mine broke in the same way, they replaced it under warranty.

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Might want to have a set of lug studs handy too. If the studs break off inside the lugs you would want to have replacements ready.

One big peeve that I have with the tire jockeys is that they won't hand thread the nuts on the lugs before they hit it with the impact. If it's crossthreaded they think "oh $*it" while they continue to hit it with the impact in a vain attempt to get it to seat. If they can get you out of sight that's all that matters.

This might be the case here. If it is, you *will* need another stud for each offending lug.

Users who are viewing this thread