help, got some parts painted, but not shiny???

TRBO VNM

ok, here's the story. I had a friend paint my bullit scoops for me and he wetsanded and compounded them and that is how he gave them to me. Did a great match job and everything. Anyway, I know there is another step between that and putting my zaino on and I am not sure what it is. normally when you go to a body shop the parts come back looking "shiny" and everything.

is it just the polishing part or whatever that wasn't done? I don't think I should just put the zaino on because if I do that and strip it at a later date won't it just look dull again?

I do have a porter cable and have the Klasse AIO. Do the body shops just use a polish like this or is there another product I have to use to bring the shin back before applying the zaino?

thanks guys.

DARKSTI

Yea, its a 4CYL ...
Established Member
yeap.you have to prep the surface before zaino. AIO should be fine, but you may want to try Mezerna IP/FP

TRBO VNM

Tropi-CareChris said:
That would be my question as well. were they clear coated?

I believe they were. I am pretty sure he said they put a few coats on. I think it is just like if you use a very mild compound on your car to remove fine scratches it leaves it hazy. will just zaino be sufficient or do I need to use something else like the AIO or the other product already mentioned?

Tropi-CareChris

Tropi-Care Distributor
Established Member
You will need to hit them with the swirl cutter first to remove the haze, then you can polish them out. Should look good.

TRBO VNM

Tropi-CareChris said:
You will need to hit them with the swirl cutter first to remove the haze, then you can polish them out. Should look good.

ok, I will try it.

thanks

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
I'd like to see some good pics of those after you get them installed! :coolman: I've been thinking about getting some for my car too.

-Blaise

TRBO VNM

SublimeRT said:
I'd like to see some good pics of those after you get them installed! :coolman: I've been thinking about getting some for my car too.

-Blaise

no problem, but I have a bad feeling the color is off by just a shade. I am hoping it isn't and just needs the above treatments, but I think it is.

this is the second time they would have been painted. I am starting to think this color isn't as easily matched as I was told and they might have to be painted while on the car. I just don't know if I want to go through with that ordeal.

Scott P

Established Member
You should check with the painter. Maybe you need one more fine polishing step. AIO is a cleaner, so I don't think it would be as helpful. I would see the body shop could do that final polishing step. If you aren't happy with the result, they should correct it.

TRBO VNM

LTHLBLU said:
yeap.you have to prep the surface before zaino. AIO should be fine, but you may want to try Mezerna IP/FP

I assume this is what you are talking about???

http://www.properautocare.com/meninpol.html

http://www.properautocare.com/menfinpol.html

so it is a 2 step process? I am going to do this over the whole car.

use the tropicare swirl cutter, then these above products and then zaino. car has already been clay barred and there is some zaino on it, but I can wash it with dawn if needed.

BTW, I am getting the scoops done again on the car.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread