Help Hard to shift after rxt install

mtang43050

Established Member
I put a Rxt in my 07 after the Ram twin disc gave up.After the 500 mile break in under hard acceleration it is locking me out of gears...like the clutch isn't disengaged.It shifts fine driving normal.I jacked the rear up and no clutch drag but clutch starts to engage close to the floor.The dust boot was off the slave cylinder when I dropped the trans and I just put it back on because It was new when the Ram clutch went in under 1k miles.Could this be the problem?Car shifted great with the ram just wouldn't hold the power.Now it doesn't slip but wont shift.thanks for any help

mtang43050

Established Member
I think so.I done the vac pump method...maybe it has some air in it.I also have 500 miles on it.....I am lost.I have never had this much trouble with a clutch swap.

mtang43050

Established Member
I called McLeod they said it should be fine with the oem slave w/o shimming.Shifted great before the rxt.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
I think so.I done the vac pump method...maybe it has some air in it.I also have 500 miles on it.....I am lost.I have never had this much trouble with a clutch swap.

I bled mine many times in accordance with the Ford workshop manual procedures after replacing the clutch fluid line and CSC, until I was confident that all air was out of the system.

Are you having any issues pulling it out of gear when coming to a full stop or when it locks you out of the next higher gear? That would also be indicative of clutch drag.

When you had the rear tires in the air, did the tires stop rotating on there own when you engaged the clutch, or did you have to use the brakes to stop the rotation?

mtang43050

Established Member
I bled the clutch more today...it helped some.What is the best method to bleed the system?
No issue pulling it out of gear
I don't remember if I used the brakes I made sure they didnt rotate with clutch engaged

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
What is the best method to bleed the system?

Apply 15-20in of vacuum, hold for 1 minute, then quickly relieve the vacuum and remove pump from reservoir. Check fluid level in reservoir and add if necessary and install cap. Fully depress and fully release clutch pedal 12 times or until clutch pedal effort is consistent and positive at the top of clutch pedal travel. Repeat this whole process two more times and then check clutch pedal reserve.

Clutch pedal reserve is checked by starting the car, depress clutch and shift into first gear, run a tape measure through the center of the steering wheel to the top of your left foot on the clutch pedal, and measure the clutch pedal movement until clutch starts to engage... should be at least 1 inch (more is fine). If all this is good, the clutch hydraulic system including CSC should be good.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
As sort of an FYI, before you take off after using the vacuum method, pump your brakes a few times. The caliper pistons somewhat retract under vacuum.

mtang43050

Established Member
Thanks for all of the help.I don't know what it could be.Car shifted great before the rxt.I don't think there is air in the line and no clutch drag.

Users who are viewing this thread