Help! I can’t make up my mind!

Shin

Established Member
I can coming from a 500+ SRT4 so I am used to power, I am not trying to 1-up the SRT but something a lil more comfortable, handles well, and a nice balance of power.
I have a 98 GT and a 97 Cobra, the Cobra is damaged (chassis and bottom end) and I would swap the heads and intake pieces to the GT with a build bottom end (NA with a shot of juice)

OR…

I could Turbo/Supercharge the 2v.
My biggest issue is work required, the 2v is pretty much straight forward and I know the costs of it already.

What little pieces would I need for the 4v swap considering I have a Cobra already?

So far I’ve come up with (and tell me if I am needlessly upgrading);
Head gasket kit
ARP studs (block to head and also head to manifolds)
Oil pump
Water pump
Oil Pan (?)
Injectors
Fuel pump
Tuning device
Timing chain
Chain guides
Timing cover

The car will mostly be DD and occasional drag strip run in but exercising its muscle will be done @ time attacks.

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:

F8L BYT

Established Member
If only the bottom end of the cobra motor is damaged then i say swap the heads and do the shot, keep the teksid for later and have it bored and forged whenever the other motor goes boom and then you will have a very very strong motor that will handle 250 shot.

since you have the cobra and only the bottom end is hurt then everything else will just swap over so you should have everything and not need anything else besides the cost of the nitrous set up

Shin

Established Member
I know which one would yeild me the most benefits, my question is what are the little parts needed to complete the swap.

I would be using a brand new forged bottom end and would like to start with new water/oil pumps, chain guides, chains ETC.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Will you be using a bottom end spec'd for a 2v? If you are, the compression will be about 1 point lower with 4v heads.

+ 1000 4v>2v/3v
3v is the way to go, especially if you're staying n/a.

If I was choosing between a B headed 4v and a 2v, I would go 2v with TFS heads and an edelbrock single plane intake. It'll make more hp and tq than a 4v with B heads.

Last edited:

chromeyellow98

Established Member
you dont want to boost those 2v heads either...you wont make much power b/c they dont flow and you cant run much of a cam in it.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
you dont want to boost those 2v heads either...you wont make much power b/c they dont flow and you cant run much of a cam in it.

Why? We have a 650rwhp FI 2v making thru an automatic trans and it's not even intercooled and it only has ported PIs.

You don't need 4v heads to make good power with a boosted engine.

Users who are viewing this thread