Help! Idle problem

btecdude

Established Member
Ok , ive changed the plugs, wires, cleaned the maf which already looked clean, cleaned the iac, car still had a rough idle and wanted to die when coming to a stop. After searching the engine compartment i found a bad vacuum leak, i fixed that and that took care of the idle problem. On saturday i installed a jlt cai and a bassani catback, car was fine. I decided since this car has 254k on it that using seafoam would help it out. I let the car sit for about 20 min or so and then started it up. It took about 10-15 for the smoke to clear, i let idle for a while as well as reving it to various rpm's. I took the car for a drive to see how it responded to the modifications and the seafome, well the check engine popped on and the car died on me a couple of times when i came to a stop. When coming to a stop if i down shift to bring the rpm's down slowly the engine will idle low almost to the point where its gonna shut off and then comes back to about 750-800 rpm's. Do you guys have any ideas whats causing the problem. Im going to bring the car to my buddys shop tonight to see why the check engine is coming on.

Last edited:

Tx_Diablous

I build them she drives
Established Member
I would say Vac leak. I know people like seafoam...but I will never use it. You are not the first I have heard with this kind of problem after using seafoam.

btecdude

Established Member
I would say Vac leak. I know people like seafoam...but I will never use it. You are not the first I have heard with this kind of problem after using seafoam.

i checked all the vacuums and could'nt find anything wrong in that dept. Do you think that the seafoam could have affected the o2's?

Tx_Diablous

I build them she drives
Established Member
I would not think so but could be. In most cases a bad o2 will throw a cel code. I could be a leak in the IMRC ckt. I dont know. You might try clearing the PCM and see if anything changes. I am betting it will...would like to know if it does.

btecdude

Established Member
Ok , ive changed the plugs, wires, cleaned the maf which already looked clean, cleaned the iac, car still had a rough idle and wanted to die when coming to a stop. After searching the engine compartment i found a bad vacuum leak, i fixed that and that took care of the idle problem. On saturday i installed a jlt cai and a bassani catback, car was fine. I decided since this car has 254k on it that using seafoam would help it out. I let the car sit for about 20 min or so and then started it up. It took about 10-15 for the smoke to clear, i let idle for a while as well as reving it to various rpm's. I took the car for a drive to see how it responded to the modifications and the seafome, well the check engine popped on and the car died on me a couple of times when i came to a stop. When coming to a stop if i down shift to bring the rpm's down slowly the engine will idle low almost to the point where its gonna shut off and then comes back to about 750-800 rpm's. Do you guys have any ideas whats causing the problem. Im going to bring the car to my buddys shop tonight to see why the check engine is coming on.

Update,

Took my car to the shop last night and put it on the scanner, it said bank 2 was lean.what could be the cause of that or is it just a bad o2 sensor? We scanned it for any previuos codes and it said that one of the imrc's was stuck closed. Keep in mine that the car runs realy strong under wot so im pretty sure thats an old problem that was already fixed.

btecdude

Established Member
Would still clear the PCM and see what it does then.
cleared the code/check engine light and it came back on the next day. Its running pretty good though and its not stalling out anymore but will drop idle from time to time. Im gonna change the 02 sensors since they have 254k on them and see if that helps any.

GTI-Drag-Guy

Established Member
Has anyone else heard of this happening/had this happen to them after using seafoam? i was considering it, but this turns me off a little.

btecdude

Established Member
Where do you get imrc deletes/spacers from and can i take it to my local tuner and have him burn a chip or will a handheld programmer be able to delete any sensors that will no longer be needed? What brand programmer do you recomend?

Users who are viewing this thread