Help me choose a new touring vehicle

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
So, I'll be 62 in June of this year and I think it's time to throw in the towel as far as my career goes. I've had a steady job since I was 14 years old and it's time to start marking off bucket list items before I kick it. My wife of 41 years was born in the Philippines and she's always wanted to travel around the US and see the sights, state parks, national parks, and all the other things this country has to offer.

I'd like to purchase and pay off a new vehicle before I retire from civil service. Shouldn't be a problem since we are empty nesters and our home and current vehicle fleet is paid for. I'm looking for a new vehicle that's going to be comfortable on long trips. I'm the type of person who loves long distance driving and the wife and I have made numerous 12-hour jaunts in my Z without issue. However, I'm getting older and my iron-butt is wearing thin.

I'm looking for suggestions on a vehicle (Sedan or SUV). Not interested in any hybrids. Needs to have ample power, but I would like it to be able to knock down 25-30 or more MPG on the highway. Needs to have room for a good bit of luggage because my wife does not travel light! AWD would be a plus, but is not mandatory (Wife wants to drive to Alaska and has relatives in Calgary Canada and my family lives in Michigan). Would like to keep the cost under $70K. I've been leaning towards an Acura SH-AWD RDX or MDX.

Okay SVTPerf what cha got?

U.M.

bglf83

Established Member
If you lower your highway mileage requirements to 19/20 a Lexus GX460 is pretty nice (we have one). The GX460 is all time 4WD and is the same vehicle as a land cruiser Prado overseas.

In the MPG target: Toyota Highlander/ Lexus TX, Ford Explorer, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Durango and probably way more will be suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I'm retiring in June John, it's time. Trying to talk the wife into something new, but not having much luck. No travel plans far for us driving, flying, yes.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Your MPG wishes may go out the window with this one, but the absolute best road trip vehicle I know of is an F-150 Raptor. Decent power (especially with a tuned EB) , plenty of room, the best ride out there, and the ability to go pretty much any where you want. For a smaller scale version look at the Ranger Raptor.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Many many vacation trips out West. Found that any crewcab pickup is by far the most comfortable mileage devouring combo. Around here, RAM is really throwing down some good deals on 1500 diesel powered pickups. A Laramie with leather, lower gears and bigger fuel tank would be a winner for what you want. I would add on a bypass oil filter on the RAM for peace of mind. Throw on an aluminum bottom roll up bed cover for secure storage and all set. A 2.7 lariat EcoBoost with 36-gallon tank would work well also but deals not as good on those. Have fun!

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Not gonna lie, the new Camry is nice and gets good gas mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
AWD Sprinter Diesel.

IMG_2225.jpeg

tistan

Established Member
Macan GTS (the GTS is the old Turbo model) might be a little higher than you want spend, but it would get you speed, great handling, comfortable, and my wife's Turbo gets 28 mpg.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Was just going to post this up. Great for road trips and the occasional camping in a park, but easy and 4X4 capable enough to drive anywhere and then back to a hotel.

I've seen a few of these on the road occupied by what looked like serious travelers. I really envy those who can do it.

That will get you a base model with base level work truck comfort for $70k. Those things are crazy expensive. Built out you are looking at $125k minimum.

Oh absolutely, but Uncle Meat is loaded.

prs97

Established Member
I prefer sedans over SUVs and picked up a Lexus ES-350 a few months ago.

This thing is crazy comfy
Good power
Gets about 30 MPG the naturally aspirated V6 to boot. Highly recommend
Just enough tech for my liking. Not a fan of all of the touch screen stuff
Toyota reliability (& parts availability figuring you may want to consider as part of a road trip)

IA Shelby

Established Member
Purchased a new Jeep wagoneer for my wife last year. Outstanding and comfortable vehicle. Just keep the options in check and you can come in at 70k. Her’s was more but I am confident you could do without some of the bells and whistles and not miss anything.

Mpg isn’t terrible but won’t hit your desired state. Plenty of room.

Test drive one and I suspect you will be very impressed. Great motor.

ur bittn

By the snake
Established Member
Purchased a new Jeep wagoneer for my wife last year. Outstanding and comfortable vehicle. Just keep the options in check and you can come in at 70k. Her’s was more but I am confident you could do without some of the bells and whistles and not miss anything.

Mpg isn’t terrible but won’t hit your desired state. Plenty of room.

Test drive one and I suspect you will be very impressed. Great motor.
The 24’s start at 90k if I recall,

7upstang

Established Member
Honestly, we love our Expedition. Kind of feel like it's the ultimate road trip type vehicle. It's quick, handles well (for a large SUV) and will knock down close to 20 on the highway. I tuned ours so we get around 22mpg on the highway. My wife wants to take my TRX on our family trip this year and I want to take the Expedition instead. The seats in the Expedition are some of most comfortable seats I've ever sat in.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
So, I'll be 62 in June of this year and I think it's time to throw in the towel as far as my career goes. I've had a steady job since I was 14 years old and it's time to start marking off bucket list items before I kick it. My wife of 41 years was born in the Philippines and she's always wanted to travel around the US and see the sights, state parks, national parks, and all the other things this country has to offer.

I'd like to purchase and pay off a new vehicle before I retire from civil service. Shouldn't be a problem since we are empty nesters and our home and current vehicle fleet is paid for. I'm looking for a new vehicle that's going to be comfortable on long trips. I'm the type of person who loves long distance driving and the wife and I have made numerous 12-hour jaunts in my Z without issue. However, I'm getting older and my iron-butt is wearing thin.

I'm looking for suggestions on a vehicle (Sedan or SUV). Not interested in any hybrids. Needs to have ample power, but I would like it to be able to knock down 25-30 or more MPG on the highway. Needs to have room for a good bit of luggage because my wife does not travel light! AWD would be a plus, but is not mandatory (Wife wants to drive to Alaska and has relatives in Calgary Canada and my family lives in Michigan). Would like to keep the cost under $70K. I've been leaning towards an Acura SH-AWD RDX or MDX.

Okay SVTPerf what cha got?

U.M.
CT4 Blackwing!

Morgan

Established Member
I’m voting for an Expedition with a single rail rack on the rear hitch to haul that crf250 out west.

Users who are viewing this thread