Help me choose an axleback

9TMAREEE

Established Member
So as much as I love my outlaws, I thing they are starting to get a little too obnoxious even though this isn't my daily. The in cabin drone is awful and the outlaws just seem to loose their tone at certain rpms. So I narrowed my choices down to two axlebacks, Corsa extremes and Borla S types. Both Ive heard don't drone but still sound great so just wanted some of yalls opinions on which you prefer and why. I haven't heard the extremes in person before only the S types and the bolas definitely sounded good. Btw I have a lethal off road X but put my stock resonators back in because the rasp was too loud with the outlaws, so if anyone has this setup or can just give a comparison between the two Id appreciate it

Thanks guys

Skrapmetal

Established Member
My 12 GT had Borla S-types.

My Boss has Corsa Extremes.

The Corsa has a deeper note, plenty of pops and gurgles.

The Borla is a little raspier, but not in a bad way I suppose. Just not as deep. Pops as well.

Zero drone from the Corsa. As I recall there was very little from the Borla, if any.

I prefer the Corsa.

9TMAREEE

Established Member
My 12 GT had Borla S-types.

My Boss has Corsa Extremes.

The Corsa has a deeper note, plenty of pops and gurgles.

The Borla is a little raspier, but not in a bad way I suppose. Just not as deep. Pops as well.

Zero drone from the Corsa. As I recall there was very little from the Borla, if any.

I prefer the Corsa.
Thanks for the info skrapmetal, just wondering what you liked more from the corsa? And possibly which do you think is the louder axle back overall?

Skrapmetal

Established Member
The Corsa has a little bit of a deeper note, which I prefer.

As far as volume, I can't answer that. I do know the guy that bought my 12 and could put them side by side but that wouldn't be a good answer either... My boss is louder, but it has the restrictors removed on the side pipes so that influences it.

Gt14

Established Member
Try the stock axelback mod you can find in the How to section. I did it on my 14 with o/r x and resonator delete, sounds great. Outlaws were out of control!

basspro302

Established Member
I never had the Borla but I can tell you with an off road x and corsa extremes at wot it gets really loud and sounds orgasmic. Cruzing around town it has no drone and is pretty tame until you get in it. No drone at 75 mph but I have 331 gears manual and tall 305/35r20 tires so that helps keep the Rpm and drone down. If your looking for no drone at all go with the touring corsa or gt500 a/b.

stags

Established Member
TLDR: Corsas sound like the evil spawn of a Lamborghini after it got taken to pound town by a Mustang. Borlas sound like, well a mustang.

Corsa xtremes and off-road x here. A buddy of mine has s types with the same mid pipe. My comparisons take them at face value, both cars sound awesome. I do like mine better though.

His car: louder at idle, more traditional muscle car throb/ burble. Sounds a bit lazy. Sounds better without load. Slightly raspy.

My car: deeper, smoother sound. Quiet at idle- nice to be under the radar sometimesI. Racecar scream above 3k rpm. Sounds more high strung. Sounds better under load. Tips look way better. No rasp

9TMAREEE

Established Member
thanks for all the responses guys, I think i might lean towards the borlas just because I like that more muscle car sound at idle and I like a bit of rasp. The corsas sound like great axlebacks but I think I might miss the deep lope at idle I have with my outlaws and hopefully the borlas will fit the bill.

stags, since I'm interested at possibly the louder setup of the two, which would you saw was louder overall?

Siscakidd

Livin the dream
Established Member
Corsa is my vote...has a good deep sound,really barks as the rpms climb,had them on my Vette ,Shelby, and my GT,

kona 199

reese 1
Established Member
axle back

thanks for all the responses guys, I think i might lean towards the borlas just because I like that more muscle car sound at idle and I like a bit of rasp. The corsas sound like great axlebacks but I think I might miss the deep lope at idle I have with my outlaws and hopefully the borlas will fit the bill.

stags, since I'm interested at possibly the louder setup of the two, which would you saw was louder overall?

GT 500" s are the best in between with no drone had flowmaster and removed after 5 mile drive.

pickles

Established Member
Kooks hands down.

[video=youtube;UeFuBfBcdhM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeFuBfBcdhM[/video]

Last edited:

9TMAREEE

Established Member
Thanks for all the help guys, I ended up buying the S types. So just a quick question, do the new S types come with weep holes or do I still have to drill them? And If I do where exactly is everyone drilling the holes and what drill bit?

nyuk98GT

Established Member
9TMAREEE:

You can put a hole on the inlet faceplate (along the centerline of the muffler) at the bottom. Hole size is 1/16" or 1/8" dia. located just at the 'bend' in the plate where the seam is. Use a sharp centerpunch to mark the hole location so the drill won't wander. (Make sure it's sharp or you will dent the muffler casing rather than putting a little nick in it.) Borla may have an instruction sheet on their site - I can't find the document I used when I had my S-types.

Here is an excerpt from a fellow at Borla sent to poster on another forum:

"Thank you for the information and link, we have heard isolated reports from a few mustang owners who have exhaust systems that are collecting more water than usual. In these cases we do advise that you add a 1/8” drain hole to the front face of your muffler near the bottom. The location of the hole is rather important to make sure your muffler still lasts for the full life of your vehicle without the possibility of losing any packing material or sound quality. The addition of this drain hole will not affect the sound or performance of the system, other than emptying it of water of course.
If you have any questions, especially regarding the placement of the hole, please let me know. You can reach me either at this e-mail address or my direct line.
"

HTH,

Chris

Last edited:

9TMAREEE

Established Member
9TMAREE:

You can put a hole on the inlet faceplate (along the centerline of the muffler) at the bottom. Hole size is 1/16" or 1/8" dia. located just at the 'bend' in the plate where the seam is. Use a sharp centerpunch to mark the hole location so the drill won't wander. (Make sure it's sharp or you will dent the muffler casing rather than putting a little nick in it.) Borla may have an instruction sheet on their site - I can't find the document I used when I had my S-types.

Here is an excerpt from a fellow at Borla sent to poster on another forum:

"Thank you for the information and link, we have heard isolated reports from a few mustang owners who have exhaust systems that are collecting more water than usual. In these cases we do advise that you add a 1/8” drain hole to the front face of your muffler near the bottom. The location of the hole is rather important to make sure your muffler still lasts for the full life of your vehicle without the possibility of losing any packing material or sound quality. The addition of this drain hole will not affect the sound or performance of the system, other than emptying it of water of course.
If you have any questions, especially regarding the placement of the hole, please let me know. You can reach me either at this e-mail address or my direct line.
"

HTH,

Chris

Thanks this does definitely help, but when you say the bottom do you mean the part of the muffler facing the ground or? Because I looked youtube and founds several videos of people who just drilled the bottom of their borlas either towards the from or towards the tips with the holes facing down towards the ground

nyuk98GT

Established Member
9TMAREEE:

Sorry I missed an "E" in your sn, lol. Need new glasses maybe.

The hole goes on the front flat plate near the bottom center of that plate and the plate is the one towards the front of the car, of course. I can't find the sketch but it is definitely on that front vertical plate. That's where I drilled my S-Types and my FRPP GT500 Tourings. Join the club and drill those holes!

Sorry for the late reply but I had some travel for work.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread