Help me choose my catback... PLEASE

Trevor_00Ws6

O.R.A.N.G.E. A.R.M.Y
Established Member
Hey, Im new to the SVT family and the stang family all together. I have been in the Ls1 world for about 2 years now and thats all I know about.

Well on my Ws6 I have hooker long tubes with Lanes true duals dumped(Dr. Gas o/r X-pipe with 12" bullets dumped at the axle) and a decent sized cam on a 112lsa so I have LOUD already. Im looking for a deeper throaty sound for my cobra. I dont want it to be loud and I dont want much interior drone either. I have heard the magnaflow on a video but thats about it. It seems to sound really good.

So, Can anybody help me out with a great sounding catback that is not too loud and hardly any drone? Im not going to do a X or H pipe, so its only going to be catback for now. Prices and where to buy would be great also since I have NO idea on where to get cobra stuff.

Thanks, Trevor

Joe Cisneros

Established Member
Well their is 2 catbacs that i know of one is the steeda catback and the other one is borla part # 14858 and i think both are made by borla. I heard this 2 catbacks no drone or very small amount and are not very loud, somebody correct me if i'm wrong

2003 Silver

Banned
lionheart said:
Well their is 2 catbacs that i know of one is the steeda catback and the other one is borla part # 14858 and i think both are made by borla. I heard this 2 catbacks no drone or very small amount and are not very loud, somebody correct me if i'm wrong

Correct to my understanding....they are the same exhaust except for the tips and the stamped name on each. Borla has the better tips..4" rolled versuses Steeda 3.5 rolled (believe me 1/2" doesn't seem like much but it makes a huge difference visually). Go with the Borla out of those two.

Magnaflow is another option...I have it coupled with a Bassani catted x pipe. Magnaflow by itself is not that loud and sounds great...minimal amount of drone. Any aftermarket system with these cars is going to produce some drone over stock....just depends on your tolerance level. I have switched 3 exhausts in 6 months as I am trying to reduce drone to a minimal.

Good luck...nothing like a Cobra!!

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
Trevor_00Ws6 said:
...Im looking for a deeper throaty sound for my cobra. I dont want it to be loud and I dont want much interior drone either. I have heard the magnaflow on a video but thats about it. It seems to sound really good.

So, Can anybody help me out with a great sounding catback that is not too loud and hardly any drone? Im not going to do a X or H pipe, so its only going to be catback for now. Prices and where to buy would be great also since I have NO idea on where to get cobra stuff.

If you're not going to do a mid-pipe, Borla Stinger, SLP Loudmouth or Magnaflow catbacks would be my only choices. I would rank them as follows in terms of all the qualities that you mentioned (1 being the best):

1. Borla Stinger $599.95 (Best Price - http://www.ninosport.com/store/Mustang/item_Borla2.htm ; mention that you're an SVTPerformance.com member and you get a SIGNIFICANTLY decreased price)
2. SLP Loudmouth $499.95 (Best Price - http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=M31003)
3. Magnaflow catback $499.95 (Best Price - http://www.ninosport.com/store/Mustang/item_MagnaFlow2.htm ; again, mention that you're a member here)

Again, I am going with the Stinger, and with the stock H pipe, I haven't heard anything better.... But you'll hear 1.309 billion different other opinions...

Just start listening to sound clips and decide from there...

Good luck :thumbsup:

pld

SoOntRebel
Established Member
Blk03SVTCobra said:
If you're not going to do a mid-pipe, Borla Stinger, SLP Loudmouth or Magnaflow catbacks would be my only choices. I would rank them as follows in terms of all the qualities that you mentioned (1 being the best):

1. Borla Stinger $599.95 (Best Price - http://www.ninosport.com/store/Mustang/item_Borla2.htm

Again, I am going with the Stinger, and with the stock H pipe, I haven't heard anything better.... But you'll hear 1.309 billion different other opinions...

Just start listening to sound clips and decide from there.

Good luck AMEN, BROTHA- :thumbsup:

2003 Silver

Banned
pld said:
Blk03SVTCobra said:

1. Borla Stinger $599.95 (Best Price - http://www.ninosport.com/store/Mustang/item_Borla2.htm

Just start listening to sound clips and decide from there.

Good luck AMEN, BROTHA- :thumbsup:

No offense guys...I think the stinger sounds great...had one myself. He is looking for an exhaust that is not loud and has minimal drone inside.....Stingers are loud and have a good amount of drone, that is why I got rid of mine. That being said, what I consider loud with alot of drone...others may think differently.

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
1268Melberger said:
No offense guys...I think the stinger sounds great...had one myself. He is looking for an exhaust that is not loud and has minimal drone inside.....Stingers are loud and have a good amount of drone, that is why I got rid of mine. That being said, what I consider loud with alot of drone...others may think differently.

I've been in a car with the Stingers and stock H on the highway at about 2000RPM in 6th... if that's what you define as drone, and that's what you want to avoid, then I'd say stick with the stock catback and save some money. I didn't hear much of anything, just the typical sound of an aftermarket exhaust.

As far as being loud.... Guilty as charged (at WOT; tame otherwise) :-D

Hye

Established Member
The Magnalfow, IMO, is the happy medium of all the exhaust systems available for our cobras. not too quiet, not blaring loud.

Its 100% stainless steel, fits absolutely perfect, comes with nice looking tips, took 25 minutes to install on a post, goes for $389 shipped (give or take a dollar) from complete exhaust or ninosport.

good luck

2003 Silver

Banned
Blk03SVTCobra said:
I've been in a car with the Stingers and stock H on the highway at about 2000RPM in 6th... if that's what you define as drone, and that's what you want to avoid, then I'd say stick with the stock catback and save some money. I didn't hear much of anything, just the typical sound of an aftermarket exhaust.

As far as being loud.... Guilty as charged (at WOT; tame otherwise) :-D

I agree....2,000 rpm with any aftermarket exhaust = drone.

freight hauler

Keep It Simple Stupid
Established Member
Blk03SVTCobra said:

1. Borla Stinger $599.95 (Best Price - http://www.ninosport.com/store/Mustang/item_Borla2.htm ; mention that you're an SVTPerformance.com member and you get a SIGNIFICANTLY decreased price)
2. SLP Loudmouth $499.95 (Best Price - http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=M31003)
3. Magnaflow catback $499.95 (Best Price - http://www.ninosport.com/store/Mustang/item_MagnaFlow2.htm ; again, mention that you're a member here)

Ray Dixon at myFordPerformance beat that price on the SLP catback by nearly 100 clams. My cost was 405.00 + 20 shipping :banana:

Last edited:

Cobra Nate

Banned
Blk03SVTCobra said:

Price says $708???

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
MAC's have a nice deep sound, not obnoxious at WOT and VERY LITTLE drone on the highway. I honestly don't think its any louder at 2k rpm on the highway inside the car, than the stock one was. I am very pleased with how quiet it is in the car on highway.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
For everything you ever wanted to know about the Borla 14858 and Steeda cat-backs CLICK HERE

-Greg

Last edited:

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
Hye06 said:
The Magnalfow, IMO, is the happy medium of all the exhaust systems available for our cobras. not too quiet, not blaring loud.
Its 100% stainless steel, fits absolutely perfect, comes with nice looking tips, took 25 minutes to install on a post, goes for $389 shipped (give or take a dollar) from complete exhaust or ninosport.
good luck
I couldn't of said it better! As far as sound the Magna CB is tuff to beat with great sound on the throttle, almost no drone, and sounds near stock at idle. It's well made, mandrel bent stainless tubing and fits perfectly. I also felt it was priced affordably.

I agree with Hye06, the Magna is the 'medium' of exhaust volume. I myself wish sometimes it was louder/more aggressive, but then I appreciate being able to creep somewhat without the loud exhaust preceeding my car. I'm thinking about a midpipe this summer but want to wait and see if my pulley swap will change sound of exhaust first :) It can get old driving around in a loud car.

Users who are viewing this thread