help me chose my next car... cobra or 300zx??

blown93302

Established Member
help me choose my next car!! 300zx or mustang cobra??
hey guys i need a little help here and seeing that this is the cobra forums, im guessing most of you will choose the mustang, but try to be as honest as you can. here is the deal. i sold my 91 mustang GT a while ago and now have saved up enough money for anohter fun toy. i have really narrowed my search down to either a 96-98 cobra (mystic if i can find it) or a 90-96 nissan 300zx twin turbo. this will only be a summer car for cruising around in, i will probably mod it slightly though. the main reason for liking the 300zx is because of looks and rarity as i almost never see one driving. main reason for liking the cobra is because of looks, power potential. both of them are rated at around 300hp, but im not sure if the 300zx will be quicker because of the twin turbos?? so if anyone can chime in here as far as handling, looks, performance, cost of upgrades, maintanance, reliablity, ect i would really appreciate it. i have around $13000 to spend. i know that i will be able to get a lower milege cobra for that price over the 300zx, but i'd love to hear some of your opinions. thanks!

Last edited:

sLOWDOHC

Established Member
Youre not on a Nissan board, but what ever. Did you really think you would get a straight answer at either board? Im sure the votes will be a landslide respectivly. With that said, Cobra. :p

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
You want something to cruise around in and scoot along pretty good, buy a drop top snake. The 300z's are nice, but nowhere near as fun and moddable as a stang. In my opinion nothing beats the looks of a vert SN95 stang with a styling bar. Just my .02

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
The reason you don't see many driving around is most have been thrashed into oblivion.

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Originally posted by TwoToneFreak
You want something to cruise around in and scoot along pretty good, buy a drop top snake. The 300z's are nice, but nowhere near as fun and moddable as a stang. In my opinion nothing beats the looks of a vert SN95 stang with a styling bar. Just my .02

Plus,with the snake,you won't get tired of people asking to see the handbuilt mill under the hood and the look on their faces after sseing the size of the heads.....

:coolman: :beer: :lol: ;-)

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Also,the sound it makes going down the road and the sound when you smash the go pedal...:thumbsup:

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
The sound. Nothing says muscle like a loud ass Cobra. Plus if you find a Mystic, that would be just as rare as any 300ZX

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
Originally posted by Blu50Stang
My grandma drives a 300zx...nuff said
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: dont do 300zx lots of money to get it up to cobra h/p

S.C.L.A.98COBRA

Established Member
Originally posted by TwoToneFreak

Well said:beer: :thumbsup:

Mendax

Both cars are nice, but I would get the Cobra. They tend to have been taken care of better. Cobras have always been sold as limited production, 300Zs havent.

97CasperCobra

Track is Crack
I'm torn with this question. My mom had a 91 300ZX 2+2 and the dealership loaned her a TT when hers was on order. What a blast that was to drive. I absolutely LOVE the 91-96 Z's especially the TT with the clean lines and layout of the interior. But, facts are facts, maintainance and modding the Cobra is going to be cheaper and if you get a Mystic, you'll get looks wherever you go. I still plan on owning a 96 300ZX TT someday though. Good luck on your hunt. Hope this helps.

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
Short of rebuilding the 300's engine...you have hit the upper ceiling on performance with that engine. A 96-98 SVT comes with 305 hp. Having a 98 SVT myself, I have run the power mod numbers. The 4.6 DOHC block can easily take 500 HP and never miss a beat. Just to get that 300's engine to those kinda tolerances would cost many, many thousands. There was a video of a 350 ZX trying to push 600 hp and it blew a whole so big thru the engine block you could see sunshine thru both sides. A stock 96-98 SVT with a solid motor: N20...420 hp at wheels...under 1000 dollars. Full job NOS dual stage(125, 75) shot with gears, tranny rebuild, stage 3 clutch...under 3000. If you go the full route and do...Turbo Kit, tranny gears, clutch...about 7500 dollars you'll have a car that does 500 hp to the wheels. Hell, a stock 96-98 with a simple NOS shot(125) will get you outrunning just about any car on the road. The big money job...$7500 will get you outrunning Z06's, Vipers etc. It's amazing to have a 20,000 dollar car that will outrun Ferrari's, Porsche's etc. As far as production cars go...the CHEAPEST car I have seen from the factory that will beat a blown 98 Cobra runs about 74,000 dollars(AMG E55)

Chris

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Cobra=good taste

Of course, do the Cobra. If anyone on this site thought the rice burner was the best car, we would all own one (or 2-3 of 'em).

Modifications=cobra
bang for buck=cobra
parts availability=cobra
easy to work on=cobra
others guys with taste and class=cobra
resell value=cobra
:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread