Help Me decide on what to choose as my Major

Champ10187

Established Member
Right now i am a freshman at michigan State University. I'm current major is mechanical engineering and i'm going to be getting out of it because i know it's extremely difficult and i know i won't be able to do well in it....i know this is the wrong attitude but i feel its the truth. The problem is i dont know what to switch in to. I want to do something i enjoy obviously but the only thing i really enjoy is learning about cars and stuff like. What i'd like to do is be a manager of some kind or someone who is in charge and makes decisions. I'd like to work for some kind of automotive company but i dont know what major to choose that would give me that kind of career. Also i was thinking about doing something with real state/real estate development becuase my dad owns alot of land that i'm going to inherit. What kinds of majors do you think would work out in these areas. thanks for your help.
chris

i3ooivl

Established Member
STAY MECHANICAL!!!!...... its the best brand of engineer you can possibly be. I'm a senior at UF for mechanical engineering and its the best decision i've ever made. True the course work is hard, but everyone i know that actually has a job in the industry has enjoyed every second of their job (not to mention they didnt use half of what they learned in college)

BUT if you really really really want to change...... Go industrial engineering. Its kinda like bland engineering and is 3 classes away from a business degree (really easy to double major).

GOOD LUCK!

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
Just become a business major. Become active in different organizations which will increase your chances of getting a job since so many people are business majors.

Champ10187

Established Member
ampstang, what do you mean become active in different organizations??

Also, i was thinking of doing building/construction management...anyone have any insight into that field?

bchisom99

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
underwater pottery!

HAHA, my dad use to say that all the time until I was 2 PE Credits shot senior year and took Horse Back Riding.....

I've got a friend who was in your same situation, and switched to Indus. Engineering, he was a really good student, but after an unpaid 9month internship in Columbus Oh he got a job w/ Bosch Auto in SC I think, and he loves it, hes a gear head too....but he did the extra semester to wrap up the double in general business as well....I would look into that.

VOD

Established Member
I dont mean to Hi-jack your thread but Im a big military buff and im wondering if there were any majors along those lines? anything that would help me prepare for being an officer in the military?

LogiWorld123

Established Member
VOD said:
I dont mean to Hi-jack your thread but Im a big military buff and im wondering if there were any majors along those lines? anything that would help me prepare for being an officer in the military?

Nukey engineer

umachme

°Mach Speed°
Established Member
Underwater Fire Prevention!!!!!!! Goto trade school!!! I wasted to much time in Sports Medicine... Own your business!!! Don't work in corp. america or for some dumbass!

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Stay mechanical. Once you get past your BS classes where they try to fail you out, things will get more interesting. I'm starting my Junior year in Mech. eng. at UMD and these classes seem to be better than everything else before. Besides, your school probably has a Formula SAE team you can join when ur a senior so its something to look forward too. Then you can really get into car stuff.

If you really can't take it, go for business. My friend changed from ME to business and said the classes are much easier. Don't make that your decision maker, but decide for yourself what you thing is more rewarding. Would you rather be working on cars and designing cool sh1t in the future, or being in the business dept. of a car company and deciding how much money to give the guys who are working on the cars?

Choose wisely, my son.

ampstang

Nobody F's w/ a Lion
Established Member
Champ10187 said:
ampstang, what do you mean become active in different organizations??

Also, i was thinking of doing building/construction management...anyone have any insight into that field?

Organizations like academic societies or clubs.

My father-in-law is the head of the construction science program at TAMU. If you have questions, I can find the answers for you.

Users who are viewing this thread