Help me fix this! (Gear Grinding problem)

03DropTopGT

Established Member
Hope this isn't in the wrong section.. but I need help as soon as possible.

I actually noticed it when I first bought the car more than a year ago. When I'd go from 1st to 2nd gear, I'd feel it sorta hesitate, then bounce it's way into 2nd. Note: The clutch is ALL the way in.

I brought it to Ford a couple months later and told them and they basically told me it was a common problem with Mustangs that was posted on their bulletin board and there was nothing they could do about it. I was pissed but they wouldn't budge an inch.

Throughout the year (it's more common when the weather is cold out), my second gear grinding (I feel it in the shifter) has just been getting worse and worse. The problem has now transitioned into 3rd and 4th gear as well. What sometimes happens is that I'll shift down, and it won't let me go past the halfway point (in the picture) between neutral and all the way into 2nd.

blah.jpg

It'll almost rebound, or bounce up, several times before working its way all the way down.

If I shift too fast, it'll grind hard and I can hear it.
Sometimes it doesn't feel smooth going into the gear, and not clean... it feels like I'm moving my stickshift through glue, or syrup, or something thick.

Also, third and fourth gear are starting to feel the effect also, it just doesn't feel "clean" going in.

Here's my question. What should I do about this? Is it a synchro problem? Is there a synchro for every gear or is it just 1 part for all gears? and how much would it cost to replace this?

If you guys don't think it's the synchro, or have had this problem before, what can you guys suggest as a solution?

The grinding noise, is it coming from my rear end gears?

Would a short shifter help a little?

I'm really tired of having my gears acting up on me and I just want to fix this once and for all. I just hope it won't take that huge of a chunk out of my wallet.

1FastZ06

Banned
sounds to me like you have a syncronizer going out, or a bent shift fork. Commonly found in a car with a short throw shifter handle and no base. Or someone "ripping" Through the gears.

I am leaning towards its prolly the syncronizer cost about 200 bucks to fix if you take the tranny out yourself

Last edited:

03DropTopGT

Established Member
JMD0346 said:
Adjust your clutch.

What do you mean?

and what's wrong with my transmission? I know I've got a GT but is that transmission really that bad?

Synchro = 200, how much do you guys think it'll cost the local mustang shop to fix?

JMD0346

Established Member
03DropTopGT said:
What do you mean?

and what's wrong with my transmission? I know I've got a GT but is that transmission really that bad?

Synchro = 200, how much do you guys think it'll cost the local mustang shop to fix?

Adjust your stock(assuming thats what you have) quadrant so it takes up some slack in the cable. This way you get full dis-engagement. What you're describing sounds like a clutch thats NOT dis-engaging all the way.

ALWAYS ADJUST YOUR CABLE FIRST BEFORE DOING TRANNY REPAIRS!!

You'd be suprised how many dont do it and end up spending money they dont need to.

Do a search about adjusting the stock setup. If you need more help just ask.

This is not to say this IS your problem but it very well could be and it wont hurt to try.

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
If for some reason adjusting your clutch doesnt work, try changing your tranny fluid out.

ScrpnVNM

Established Member
I'd do the free stuff first. check your clutch adjustment, and check tranny fluid. Did you buy the car from a used car lot? You'd be surprised of what they do to mask problems just to sell the cars. Maybe if it was the same dealer you took it to get it fixed (or try to, anyways) they knew about it and didn't want anything to do with it. Usually TSB's (technical service bulletins) tell you how to corect the problem. The whole "it's normal, we can't fix it" deal sounds fishy to me.

96supersnake

Established Member
Man I feel your pain, exactly the way my car does to the tee. took it to the dealer they started the whole clutch problem thing and wouldnt be convinced otherwise. I also changed my fluid didnt help. no other solutions yet. car only has 36,800 miles so i am also puzzled, let me know what you come up with.

jfsram

Established Member
Confirm you clutch is fully disengaging. How far up to you release the pedal before the car moves?
I agree with the other. It's sounds like worn synchros.

A short shifter will only amplify the problem.

03DropTopGT

Established Member
I've adjusted my clutch, still got the same problem. The problem seems to come so randomly, but even more so during wet/cold season.

Between work and school this week I haven't had time to bring it to the Ford Dealership. And btw, for all you guys that are wondering, yes, I brought it to the same Ford place that I bought my car. Maybe that's why they're not doing anything about it. This week I'm going to be busy, but as soon as monday of the following week comes, I'm going to bring it to another Ford dealership and ask them what's up.

And 96supersnake: Good (and bad haha) to hear that someone else has the same problem as me. I've also got fairly low miles, just like you: 32k. If you wanted to know, the ford dealership I brought it to (a while ago, this was the dealership I bought my car from) tore apart my transmission, and when they put it back together, they told me it wouldn't go back into gear, and that they'd have to get a new transmission. A couple days later, they called me back saying that they did something wrong and the problem was fixed, no new transmission was necessary. They did replace my clutch and throw out bearing (due to a whining/whistling noise it was making) though *shrug*. I should have realized this dealership was fishy. I'm gonna head over to another dealership in a couple weeks and let you know how it turns out.

Last edited:

JMD0346

Established Member
03DropTopGT said:
I've adjusted my clutch, still got the same problem. The problem seems to come so randomly, but even more so during wet/cold season.

Between work and school this week I haven't had time to bring it to the Ford Dealership. And btw, for all you guys that are wondering, yes, I brought it to the same Ford place that I bought my car. Maybe that's why they're not doing anything about it. This week I'm going to be busy, but as soon as monday of the following week comes, I'm going to bring it to another Ford dealership and ask them what's up.

And 96supersnake: Good (and bad haha) to hear that someone else has the same problem as me. I've also got fairly low miles, just like you: 32k. If you wanted to know, the ford dealership I brought it to (a while ago, this was the dealership I bought my car from) tore apart my transmission, and when they put it back together, they told me it wouldn't go back into gear, and that they'd have to get a new transmission. A couple days later, they called me back saying that they did something wrong and the problem was fixed, no new transmission was necessary. They did replace my clutch and throw out bearing (due to a whining/whistling noise it was making) though *shrug*. I should have realized this dealership was fishy. I'm gonna head over to another dealership in a couple weeks and let you know how it turns out.

I dont understand that. Ford is not supposed to work on Tremec tranny's. Tremec inssit they are sent back to them. Ive been through this before.

How did you adjust your clutch? Describe what you did. If you did what it says in the manual you did it wrong.

txlen

Established Member
i got an idea for ya..do ya have floor mats in the car??...take them out and go drive it...assuming the clutch is adjusted correctly and see if it shifts right, i've seen many people with thick floormats stop the clutch from totally disengaging the trans...i've even seen people with double floormats having issues too!!!..lol..

Users who are viewing this thread