Help me get my 4 year project running please

JP96cobra

Established Member
Ok fellows need some help here.

Car is a 96 cobra that I haven't had running for a couple of years now and I'm at the point where it could start it but not getting any signs of life.

Its been down due to valve train coming apart in the head. Well long story short I did a 03 cobra head swap with a mach 1 intake and have a built shortblock. Also replaced fuel pump and new clutch and flywheel while its been down.

I go to crank it over and I'm just getting clicks from the starter. Well the stuff that comes to my mind first is dead battery. Makes sense since its been sitting for so long but It was new before the car went down. So I hook jumper cables on it and let the wife's car run for a while to charge it but still getting clicks. Did this a couple of times. I go back and check my ground and clean it up and make sure its good and still no dice. I've checked the Inertia fuel shut off but that is fine. Also the battery terminals are fine.

I just got back from auto zone and replaced the starter and bolted it up but still only clicks I'm going to replace the battery but with me trying to jump it already it should not be the issue. Relays and fuses also look fine from what I could see.

I also thought about the PATS being an issue but the theft light goes off before I try to crank it over. If the engine would at least turn over but not start I would be able to pin point it better but only getting clicks.

Any Ideas? :shrug:

Also can you guys get me pictures of the fuse box area where the power cable is bolted to the box. I want to double check my connections. :beer:

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
Stupid question but what battery do you have in your car?

pacific4v

Established Member
I'd def make sure u have a good battery first off. I've tried jumping cars with dead batteries that were so dead they wouldn't jump start.

JP96cobra

Established Member
I'd def make sure u have a good battery first off. I've tried jumping cars with dead batteries that were so dead they wouldn't jump start.

Yea I'm going to get a Battery in the morning. I hope it will be that easy but I never have that kind of luck.

gardensnake281

Established Member
Had the same problem mine ended up being a stupid ground strap the goes from the driver side engine mount to the body. Mine wouldn't even crank just click til I remembered the stupid strap.

JP96cobra

Established Member
Got the beast running but needs gas to keep it running. Thanks for the help guys. Turned out to be the battery after all. That was a first for me to be that dead even a jump wouldn't work.

Users who are viewing this thread