Help me pick a daily car.

GTCobraClone

Established Member
So I got a job down in WPB, FL area. Ill be down there starting next month. Currently I have a lifted 2000 Jeep Cherokee that I have for sale, a 2003 Cobra shell I bought about 6 months ago that I'm willing to sell but not actively selling since I don't mind taking it with me and the ladies BMW X3. I want to get a nicer car but Im trying to keep it under $5k unless I sell the Cobra. So for now, what do you guys think would be a nice fun car for $5k?

I thought about buying a 2002-2004 GT but not sure yet, my drive to work will be at least 30 min so don't remember how they were with fuel. Also looked at a few 2009 A4s for the comfort but also not sure on that yet.

Kiohtee

Established Member
A Neon SRT-4, if you can happen upon a clean, relatively unmolested one. It'll bust a stock (and even lightly modded) 2V's ass and is dirt cheap to insure, maintain, repair and modify.

GTCobraClone

Established Member
A Neon SRT-4, if you can happen upon a clean, relatively unmolested one. It'll bust a stock (and even lightly modded) 2V's ass and is dirt cheap to insure, maintain, repair and modify.

I looked at a few, do you know much about them? Anything I should look or be aware of if you know?

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Tuning in. I wish my truck was an automatic. It's kind of cool having a RCSB OBS Sierra thats super clean 350 5 speed, but traffics horrific here and I want an auto for daily duties.

GTCobraClone

Established Member
Tuning in. I wish my truck was an automatic. It's kind of cool having a RCSB OBS Sierra thats super clean 350 5 speed, but traffics horrific here and I want an auto for daily duties.

My Cherokee is auto and its the first auto car I have owned. I still prefer manual cars but depending on what car I get I would consider manual just for the comfort. I wont be getting much traffic where the company is located but depending on where I get a house/apt I may get a bit of it.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I looked at a few, do you know much about them? Anything I should look or be aware of if you know?

I used to have a bone stock '05. Didn't keep it long just because that's who I am, but it was my daily while I had it. I liked it, even being a bigger guy and it having the optional ACR-style seats. The only downside is the lack of cruise control, but there's a very easy, OEM-style fix for that.

Kiohtee

Established Member
mini cooper

The supercharged Minis are slooow and it seems to be hit or miss with reliability. The turbo models are a good bit faster but seem to really have reliability issues when driven the way guys like us typically drive their cars.

At least, that was my experience in researching when I was looking at Minis. An R53 car specifically.

Branhammer

Established Member
For $5k, I'd probably be looking at LS1 F-bodies, '96-'98 Cobras, and even a 2003 WRX, although that last one may be tough to find in good condition in that range. Another really cool car I'd consider for that is an early-mid-'90's Toyota MR2 turbo.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
Some of my favs off the top of my head in that $ range.

If Euro
B5 S4
These cars are very fun and a nice comfortable ride and get decent mileage, but always seem to need some sort of repairs.

GTI
A4
Fun/nice cars with some style and comforts, just hope you can find one that was well maintained

E36 M3
Not a ton of power or mileage, maybe a bit dated looking, but one of the best cars I've ever owned in terms of handling, reliability and day to day driving enjoyment. Also found it to be easy to work on under the hood.

If Japanese
WRX, never owned, but a buddy has and it's been a solid car.

MkIII Supra
Owned a few, so many are clapped out these days, but if you can find a good one with a proper head gasket job done and not messed with too much, this car will serve you well in many aspects.

American
02-04 GT I sold my last Daily driver GT in great shape for 4 grand and let's be honest, it's a solid car with potential for that much money, but Kinda boring without some good $ and mods thrown at it.

T/A or Camaro Ls1
Never owned, but I would imagine good bang for the buck and probably pretty reliable.

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member
I went through this a few months ago and ended up with a relatively low mileage Mazdaspeed 3. Gets 25mpg and feels sporty enough to not be boring to drive. Plus it fits all my work gear in the back and leaves room for my mastiff in the back seat.

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
If you upped the budget a few grand you could snag a higher mileage 06-07 SRT8 Charger, 300, or Magnum

lastcall190

Established Member
If you upped the budget a few grand you could snag a higher mileage 06-07 SRT8 Charger, 300, or Magnum

I would be surprised if he could nab an SRT8 anything for under 10k, they seem to hold value fairly well. But I could very well be wrong. I might think he would have better luck finding a Mach 1, same mustang platform, some more power, still fun I would say.

Of the cars stated here I've only owned LS1, LT1 (not mentioned but still available for fairly cheap), and MK3 supras. I would never daily a mk3 supra. The newest one is 25 years old and I wonder what repair parts even exist anymore for them. I enjoyed when I had them with a 1JZ, though. LSx would be fun and I daily'd that thing for over 2 years, but you're looking at high mile 98 or 99 car, which isn't terrible, but there are differences over the 5 years of the f-body there. LT1 is fun, if you can get past the opti issues and availability of those replacement parts now. I have zero experience with European cars.

Good luck on the choice. I needed 4 doors when faced with the same dilemma so my experience differed slightly.

-J

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
I would be surprised if he could nab an SRT8 anything for under 10k, they seem to hold value fairly well. But I could very well be wrong. I might think he would have better luck finding a Mach 1, same mustang platform, some more power, still fun I would say.

Of the cars stated here I've only owned LS1, LT1 (not mentioned but still available for fairly cheap), and MK3 supras. I would never daily a mk3 supra. The newest one is 25 years old and I wonder what repair parts even exist anymore for them. I enjoyed when I had them with a 1JZ, though. LSx would be fun and I daily'd that thing for over 2 years, but you're looking at high mile 98 or 99 car, which isn't terrible, but there are differences over the 5 years of the f-body there. LT1 is fun, if you can get past the opti issues and availability of those replacement parts now. I have zero experience with European cars.

Good luck on the choice. I needed 4 doors when faced with the same dilemma so my experience differed slightly.

-J
I sold my 06 Magnum srt8 with 146k for 12.5k and the only reason I got that was because its a magnum and they only made like 3600 srt8 magnums ever, I see 110-130k miles chargers and 300s going for 7-10k all day

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I would say $5K is not going to equal nice. I'm looking at a 78K mile 95 cobra that needs paint, ac is not working, and cruise control doesn't work. He's asking $4800.

lastcall190

Established Member
^^ This. $5k can get something "nice" that probably wont be "fun", and vice versa.

I landed under that with my Crown Vic. Hardly "fun" in a traditional sense, but somehow one of the more enjoyable vehicles I've owned (woefully underpowered though). Helps that there are a billion on the road, so I ain't too concerned about struggling to fix it either.

-J

Users who are viewing this thread