Help me pick a daily car.

Gary Macomber

Established Member
So I got a job down in WPB, FL area. Ill be down there starting next month. Currently I have a lifted 2000 Jeep Cherokee that I have for sale, a 2003 Cobra shell I bought about 6 months ago that I'm willing to sell but not actively selling since I don't mind taking it with me and the ladies BMW X3. I want to get a nicer car but Im trying to keep it under $5k unless I sell the Cobra. So for now, what do you guys think would be a nice fun car for $5k?

I thought about buying a 2002-2004 GT but not sure yet, my drive to work will be at least 30 min so don't remember how they were with fuel. Also looked at a few 2009 A4s for the comfort but also not sure on that yet.
Do not buy a car in South Florida, buy one before you come down. The amount of scammers here is outrageous. So many people here without insurance so they wreck it, sell to one of these guys that fixes it to look alright and then sell it with a clean title. Tons of "clean" vehicles with frame and floor damage here.

96redcobra

Established Member
I drive a 2000 zx3 focus as a daily. Small, good on fuel, actually has a bit of pep. Id love a SVT focus though, would be an awesome daily

IllCobra

Established Member
Do not buy a car in South Florida, buy one before you come down. The amount of scammers here is outrageous. So many people here without insurance so they wreck it, sell to one of these guys that fixes it to look alright and then sell it with a clean title. Tons of "clean" vehicles with frame and floor damage here.
This.
Man, i always wondered about that. Seems like every time i'm window shopping on CL, I find a car going for cheap but it has a rebuilt title. I bought my current daily from a guy in Melbourne, a 2009 honda accord coupe. Which funny enough has a rebuilt title. Currently has 99k miles, bought it with 55k miles. Zero issues except for for a leaking radiator which i replaced at the 66k mile mark. Same reliability can't be said about my 03 cobra which has a clean title but dropped the valve seat 1 month into owning it. It really is the luck of the draw.
I'm sure you can find accords going for your price range. Mine is a 4 cylinder auto and it won't go below 27 mpg even it is all city driving. Now that i have the cobra i feel the need to sell the honda and buy a 4 door. You should also look at camrys; reliable and good mpg.

Blown 89

Established Member
An 01 Cobra gets 18/25 mpg and is fun as hell to drive. You can pick up nice ones cheap.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
This brings up the Cheap/reliable/fast rule..

The more I think about this.. almost rather go for something in the 10-12k range. Make a 5k down payment, stretch out payments on 7k for dirt.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
I drive a 2000 zx3 focus as a daily. Small, good on fuel, actually has a bit of pep. Id love a SVT focus though, would be an awesome daily

I just sold my super clean Competition Orange 2003 SVT Focus ZX3 EAP for $4k which is what I had in it. 135k miles. Loaded with heated leather Recaros, power moon roof, all major service done, no accidents, and tons of fun to drive. If you find a similar one I'd say grab it.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
Personally I wouldn't get a new edge mustang considering at some point you are planning on building your 03 Cobra I am assuming. Below is the list of cars I would consider in your price range.

E36 M3

VW GTI

SVT Focus

2002-2004 Subaru WRX or 2005-2006 Saab 9-3x Aero (Subaru WRX drivetrain)

All of the above are fun to drive, but would be significantly different then your Cobra.

StalkerStang

Established Member
Imo, nothing fun, cool, or easy to modify.... find something reliable, comfortable and easy to maintain.

I daily a 2011 GT, and don't get me wrong, I love driving it daily but I've spent more money on it than I need to. I can't leave it alone and my 90 LX project continues to sit partly because of my 11.....

Maybe you have more self control than I do lol, but if you ever want to see your Cobra on the road, buy something you have no desire to mess with beyond maintenance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

GTCobraClone

Established Member
Thanks to everyone for the replies, at this time I cannot bump up my budget, hence why its called a "budget" lol. Anyways, I do understand the cheap/reliable/fast rule and I'm technically not looking for something fast. I believe you can find a car that is cheap/reliable/fun and some of the recommended cars fill that category.

Ill just have to look into the car extremely well but buying a car here in MI to take to FL is not a good idea. Car up here are rust buckets unless they have been garage kept during winters and those typically want way more money due to lower mileage.

Gary Macomber

Established Member
Thanks to everyone for the replies, at this time I cannot bump up my budget, hence why its called a "budget" lol. Anyways, I do understand the cheap/reliable/fast rule and I'm technically not looking for something fast. I believe you can find a car that is cheap/reliable/fun and some of the recommended cars fill that category.

Ill just have to look into the car extremely well but buying a car here in MI to take to FL is not a good idea. Car up here are rust buckets unless they have been garage kept during winters and those typically want way more money due to lower mileage.
Buy in Northern Florida, there is a huge Manheim auction up there, about 10x bigger than the one in Ft. Lauderdale. I still have access to my Manheim account, not sure if I can still purchase vehicles from them.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
^^ This. $5k can get something "nice" that probably wont be "fun", and vice versa.

I landed under that with my Crown Vic. Hardly "fun" in a traditional sense, but somehow one of the more enjoyable vehicles I've owned (woefully underpowered though). Helps that there are a billion on the road, so I ain't too concerned about struggling to fix it either.

-J

I'm into this $5500 and it came with all the mods listed in my sig. Not the fastest car out there but certainly enough hustle to get through traffic at ease. I have a feeling on a cold day it could crack off a high 13 which would put it around stock 3V territory

i-ZnvSQ73-X3.jpg

PS: I got a good laugh out of "find a clean SRT4 Neon" and "Buy a WRX for 5 grand".

Users who are viewing this thread