• FZR600

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • CBR600 F3

Votes: 13 92.9%

• Total voters

x99blacksnakex

Horsepower over Willpower
Established Member
So I'm going to buy a motorcycle tomorrow and I have two to choose from: a 1995 Honda CBR600 F3 or a 1997 Yamaha FZR600

Here's the pro's and cons of each:

Honda Pro's: I've owned one before, it's got 100 horsepower, they're more comfortable, they have better suspension than the FZR, and I have a Clymer manual for it, it's an hour drive closer, parts are easier to find

Con's: It has 20K miles on it, it's $200 more than the FZR, it may not be in as nice cosmetic condition as the FZR, it doesn't match my gear, may not have been maintained as well

Yamaha Pro's: Its $200 less than the Honda, it's red white and blue which matches my gear, it has only 10K miles on it, it's in very good cosmetic condition, the dual headlights are sweet looking, makes more torque down low than the Honda, maintained well

Con's: It's an hour drive further, it doesn't make as much power, it doesn't have as nice suspension as the Honda, it's not as comfortable, parts are harder to find

If you guys have any opinion or experience with either bike please let me know thanks!

flS/R

Established Member
is this the black/blue/yellow version? If so, those are nice looking bikes. The honda costs more money because it is worth it. The availability of the parts makes it the better choice. Also, if the body panels need repainting, the honda bikes from the 80's used red/white/blue and using one of these paint schemes would be cool and make it match your gear. or you could go this route

CBR-600-F-1998.jpg

I say cbr

bodge323

Established Member
Based off what you have stated id go yamaha. To be completely honest with you though, buy a dirtbike to serve this urge. I have a left wrist of steel, my dominant arm(thank god i walked away from this, i definitely have someone looking after me: uncle Dave) and a friend who will Never walk again due to a street bike accident. They are appealing, but imho its not worth it. I know this is very difficult to really take seriously, but take it for what its worth.

x99blacksnakex

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. Bodge, I tried doing the dirt bike thing and it just wasn't for me. I really don't have a ton of places to ride around here and I can't keep up with the maintenance costs of owning one. I realize being on a motorcycle is dangerous but I ride as cautiously as possible.

Sethsual

Established Member
So I'm going to buy a motorcycle tomorrow and I have two to choose from: a 1995 Honda CBR600 F3 or a 1997 Yamaha FZR600

Here's the pro's and cons of each:

Honda Pro's: I've owned one before, it's got 100 horsepower, they're more comfortable, they have better suspension than the FZR, and I have a Clymer manual for it, it's an hour drive closer, parts are easier to find

Con's: It has 20K miles on it, it's $200 more than the FZR, it may not be in as nice cosmetic condition as the FZR, it doesn't match my gear, may not have been maintained as well

Yamaha Pro's: Its $200 less than the Honda, it's red white and blue which matches my gear, it has only 10K miles on it, it's in very good cosmetic condition, the dual headlights are sweet looking, makes more torque down low than the Honda, maintained well

Con's: It's an hour drive further, it doesn't make as much power, it doesn't have as nice suspension as the Honda, it's not as comfortable, parts are harder to find

If you guys have any opinion or experience with either bike please let me know thanks!
If you've owned one before, then you know that you can ride them as safely or as dangerously as you want them to be, but you can never account for the stupidity of other drivers. That said, I lived by ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time) and it saved my life (roughly twelve times according to the impact marks on the helmet) when I went down. Also, IMHO, dirtbikes are more dangerous than streetbikes. I grew up in the dirt and lived by the motto, "If you don't go down, you're not riding hard enough." I did break several bones throughout my dirtbike years, but I had some of the best times of my life.

Back on track. I owned a '96 F3 for a few years and loved it. I beat the snot out of it and it took it all like a champ. It was also very easily customizable. I installed parts from several other Honda bikes on it, including an '03 F4i's digital gauge cluster.
What makes you think this one wasn't maintained well?

Ultimately, for me, it always comes down to aesthetics. Personally, I don't like the look of the Yamaha and would be willing to get new gear (I suggest black, because it goes with everything). If the power is really a factor for you, and you want to avoid heavily modified bikes, then I would suggest you stop looking at bikes which are nearly 20 years old. ;-)

x99blacksnakex

Established Member
I ended up buying the FZR. It's in good shape, it was a good deal, and I really like how the bike rides. I actually like it a lot more than my CBR.

Attaus

Established Member
I was just about to chime in and say get the Honda.. I currently have an F2 and it was abused but still going.

They won the SBC 5 times in the 90's for a reason..

x99blacksnakex

Established Member
Sorry for the late post, the bike needed a few things to be perfect but as soon as I get the new gas cap in and install it ill be sure to snap som pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread